www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: arrogant lakeside homeowners

Default arrogant lakeside homeowners

This is just a message to vent.

I am annoyed at all the homes in the area along the lakeshores that take up the prime fishing locations. Everywhere you turn theres either a boat landing thats crowded with amature boaters, or someones home with a no fishing sign. Im not one of the fortunate few who have the cash to purchase a boat along with trailer and the set up. I do love to fish, and at times I do prefer to shore fish. I have been fortunate enough to have gone with a few good people on there boat to fish, and I thourgly enjoyed it. But when you go to these public fishing areas like Tenny, the Monona Triangle or Warner you have a mob of people fighting for this one spot only to add more fishing pressure to that area.
    But I love to fish... and so I must battle the hordes for that one spot. Gaze upon those beautiful lakes with the dome in the skyline. Oh yah I love this sport...

Thats a really complex issue to try to address. As a kid, I threw on the waders and walked the shore of many lakes. As long as my feet were in the water, legally not much could be done. Getting out and walking around docks were always a challange.....homeowner, dogs,...

Just don't lose sight of your passion. It is frustrating, but we all must live amongst one-another and not everyone shares or appreciates the same interests. It is definately hard when you pack a million people in a confined space and a small percentage of them all wants to fish or hunt locally.

I too am stuck shore fishing until I get to the point where I can spend a lot of money on myself and still have plenty left for my wife and daughter. I used to consider moving to an area where fewer people are competing for more fish but lately I have begun to see that the grass is pretty geen on this side of the fence. We all have many, many places to try for some quality fish. We can ice fish for browns on Lake MI, shoot for the record of most game fish in the Miss, tackle sturgeon and ice out walleyes on the WI river, pull out a 50 lb. flathead on lake WI, deep water perch on Mendota, gills and smallies all over, trout in devil's lake, summer carp on the fly, even the occasional slab crappie and muskie on wingra. There have been many times when I have been able to shore fish without competing for a spot to stand. Many times when the sun beat down and I found a place to stand in the shade. There are even places to keep out of the rain from shore. A little gas, some maps, knowledge of what action is hot at the moment and with little money you can have an absolute blast fishing this area. Don't let the man get you down.

Cool Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by noobfisherman View Post
    This is just a message to vent.

I am annoyed at all the homes in the area along the lakeshores that take up the prime fishing locations. Everywhere you turn theres either a boat landing thats crowded with amature boaters, or someones home with a no fishing sign. Im not one of the fortunate few who have the cash to purchase a boat along with trailer and the set up. I do love to fish, and at times I do prefer to shore fish. I have been fortunate enough to have gone with a few good people on there boat to fish, and I thourgly enjoyed it. But when you go to these public fishing areas like Tenny, the Monona Triangle or Warner you have a mob of people fighting for this one spot only to add more fishing pressure to that area.
    But I love to fish... and so I must battle the hordes for that one spot. Gaze upon those beautiful lakes with the dome in the skyline. Oh yah I love this sport...
    It is hard to believe that lake shore owners do not want shore fishermen wondering on there property, considering that we pay $10,000-30,000 in taxes...so we can have our property's look like the parks and shores where you are allowed to fish where you leave your garbage, dead fish and openly go to the bathroom..you are right....what are we thinking?

Lou

Default interesting subject

Interesting comments Lou, getting to hear the other side of the discussion. I'll add my thoughts just kicks and giggles. I am on both sides of the fence. I definately think if you pay tens of thousands of dollars a year on taxes that you have every right to say no trespassing. I also think that fishing should not only be enjoyed by those of us fortunate enough to have a boat. I have been in Madison for just over 5 years, and the attitude of Lou shocks me a bit. For the most part everyone I have met in Madison has been quite friendly. In my past I have fished from shore, and from private property with permission of course. Lou how do you suppose lakefront owners would respond if fisherman ask permisson to fish from their land. I would assume those with enough respect to ask permission would not treat private property like a outhouse.

Just curious?

I recently purchased a boat, motor, and trailer for $800 off craigslist... I know people who have paid alot more for their tackle then I have paid for my boat, mototr, and trailer.. It's not the prettiest or fastest boat on the lake, but it gives me the ability to fish anywhere on any lake I please.. Quit whinning a save a few dollars and this could be you...

Quote Originally Posted by jrc2473 View Post
    Interesting comments Lou, getting to hear the other side of the discussion. I'll add my thoughts just kicks and giggles. I am on both sides of the fence. I definately think if you pay tens of thousands of dollars a year on taxes that you have every right to say no trespassing. I also think that fishing should not only be enjoyed by those of us fortunate enough to have a boat. I have been in Madison for just over 5 years, and the attitude of Lou shocks me a bit. For the most part everyone I have met in Madison has been quite friendly. In my past I have fished from shore, and from private property with permission of course. Lou how do you suppose lakefront owners would respond if fisherman ask permisson to fish from their land. I would assume those with enough respect to ask permission would not treat private property like a outhouse

Just curious?
    Even with permission, there is that liability issue, so you are fishing...trip, fall off my dock or shoreline...break leg, ankle....who's fault? (On city property, you can't hold Madison responsible...my property you can go after me) Second, most do not ask permission, and just wait to get caught, so they leave a bad feeling about the next guy that asks permission or if you give permission he/she brings 3 friends next time. Honestly, there are so few people that respect others that it is not worth the hassle....just being honest. Put yourself in our shoes...would you want strangers in your back yard when you wake up in the morning....or at night when you are going to bed? Remember, not all lake shore owners were given our houses....we had to work very hard for them and in a lot of cases it is our cabin, vacation home and house!

Lou

You have every right to refuse permission. But let me say this to all landowners who deny permission to those asking to access your land for outdoor activities stop using liability as an excuse. In the state of Wisconsin if you give permission and do not charge for the land access you are not liable. You are only liable if you know of an unsafe condition and do not warn people of it. Again you can deny permission for what ever reasons you choose but the liability thing is just a crock that too many landowners use to deny permission. I am sure a lot of landowners are unaware of this and I am just looking to inform you and others. I now have access to nearly a 1000 acres of prime hunting land simply because I took the time to educate the landowner about the law.

so there are a lot of valid points all around. i (now) have a nice boat and live on the lake but i shore fished in madison for nearly 17 years before that happened and found it to be some of the best fishing i have ever had. there is lots of public access if you look for it. in fall, i'd argue the fishing is better on mendota FROM the shore. maybe something to do with the presentation going from deep to shallow.

anyway, if that doesn't suit you, buy a boat. you can literally get a boat for $300 that will be safe and allow you to fish virtually anywhere. if you don't have $300, don't buy any cigs and lottery tickets for 3 weeks and the money will magically materialize. i think you had a bad experience with (likely) one owner that may actually have been a jerk which made you post.

that said, my parents have 40 acres that we let people hunt on if they ask as there is plenty of space. however, with 40 ft of frontage on the lake, it gets to be a bit crowded for any dudes to come fish off my pier. that's simply practical, not arrogant.

meddle