www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: weed treatment

Default weed treatment

I read on an other site that there will be some weed treatment of Waubesa and Monona starting next week. While probably safe for muskies, I am wondering how the act of said treatment would effect the fishing. Any thoughts or ideas?

Paul

To my knowledge the local government have never use herbicide on the Madison Lakes. I'm not sure that they ever will, because that's just Madison.

Where did you see this???

I saw it on lake-link.com Here is the post from there, posted under the Waubesa section on 6-19

"Regarding Waubesa and the weeds: Lake Monona and Waubesa are scheduled to be chemically treated with either Diquat and/or chelated copper next week starting on June 22nd. I did some research on Diquat, and while it's considered safe for most fish, yellow perch are most sensitive to it.
    From http://everything2.com/title/diquat :

"However, it is effectively harmless to most fish, with an 8-hour LC50 of 12.3 mg/L for rainbow trout and 28.5 mg/L in Chinook salmon. Yellow perch, however, have a 96-hour LC50 of 60mg/L, which is sufficient to cause them harm during normal use for aquatic weed-clearing."

(LC50 is the concentration needed to be lethal to 50 percent of fish exposed to it.)

I'm not going to post my opinion on the matter. I just post this for informational reading.

Mendota is scheduled to be treated later this summer.

Here's the news article reporting this. (see June 17th post) http://www.nbc15.com/newsyoucanuse/h.../48275577.html

Default re:weed treatment

It actually happens every year. Only occurs along private shorline areas, around docks mostly. The homeowner has to pay, the herbicide is applied by a contractor that is supervised by DNR staff. Monona and Waubesa get applications, Mendota to a lesser degree.

As far as affecting fishing, the fish may move out once the weeds start to die, but it leaves a nice edge/hole to work around, haven't specifically targeted muskies in these areas, but bass fishing can be good after the weeds have died
    Last edited by erico; 06-24-2009 at 02:31 PM.