Lots has changed on the big lake since last weeks report. Warmer daytime and water temps has replaced the rollercoasted temps of last week.

Lake conditions. Surface water temps 65-70 degrees (up 10-15 degrees from last week). Water clarity: 2-4 feet, with a minor algea bloom taking place on some parts of the lake. Bug Hatch: Mayflies started hatching last Saturday and seems like the hatch is getting heavier as the week progresses.

Fished with Roger W, Glen R and Dennis W all from the Chicago area. Caught fair numbers of smallmouths. Probally averaged 20+ fish per day for the 3 days of fishing. Dennis caugh his PB (personal Best) a 4pound 10 oz beauty. Roger and Glen also caught fish in the 5-5 1/2 pound range. Most fish were caught on tube jigs, grubs and sinking minnows around the rock reefs. Smallies are also spawning in shallow water. Expect the spawn to last several more days while the reef fish bite will be getting stronger and stronger as we head into the summer.

Fishing Tip: Lake Mille Lacs Smallies are basically a catch and release fishery. Anglers are allowed to keep only 1 fish over 21 inches, for that reason, I've made it a habit to pinch the barbs of my hooks with pliers. This makes extraction of the hook easy and gives the fish a very good chance to be released unharmed. Pinching barbs will become more important as we head into the summer months when aggressive smallmouth bass tend to take small baits deep.

Still a a few dates available in July and only a couple dates in August. Give me a call if interested in a guided trip!