www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Across The Boarder into Michigan

Default Across The Boarder into Michigan

I am headed up north somewhere in about 10 days. I have fished Vilas county extensively over the years and looking for new scenery. Nothing wrong with the area, just looking for a change of scenery. I had some good action in the Clam Lake area of Ashland/Sawyer county last spring, and the camping was fairly secluded.

Having fished the Big Lake/Thousand Island chain, I am looking to see if it is worth burning up vacation time to explore Michigan lakes up around Watersmeet. Lakes such as Marion, Duck, Deer Island, Leon, Clark, and Whitefish. I don't know if the Musky fishing is just plain poor in this area across the border, or if the Michigan DNR and the locals are keeping tight lipped about their lakes.

My style is to select an area and fish a different lake each day, unless one lake is too good to pass up. I am more about the adventure, exploration of new lakes, and more secluded camping rather than fish the same water over and over. I sure would appreciate some input on lakes around the Watersmeet area.

Default Rfrg

Clark Lake, Dinner Lake, etc. may be worth some effort.
    A lot of the Sylvania lakes are "no motor" lakes but there is some excellent fishing in that area

Thanks Matt for gettin' the show up!!! Gotta get my fix in before the R&H show!!! Get to fish tomorrow for the big green toothy critter as well.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie Matt View Post
    Clark Lake, Dinner Lake, etc. may be worth some effort. A lot of the Sylvania lakes are "no motor" lakes but there is some excellent fishing in that area
    Matt, thanks for the tip. I scouted the area a few years ago on a car trip with my wife. That area looks like nice scenic water to be on. When you say fishing is excellent, I take it you are speaking of a wide range of species, or Musky as well? My buddy is lobbying to try new waters in northwest Wisconsin around the Siren area, but the camping opportunities are a bit scarce.

By the way, I was trying out my new Lundberg Stalker on Lake Waubesa in Madison this last weekend, and raised a nice Musky pushing the 50 inch mark and frankly caught me by total surprise. He turned twice on the figure 8's and lost interest, but got another reaction on a long L movement, but I never got the mouth to open. Would have made my day, that's for sure.

there are a lot less misky fisherman in the N.W. part of the state, and probably bigger average size fish.