www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Okuma Reels

Default Okuma Reels

Anyone use their Musky reels?? I have 2 of their rods and a couple of their Flyfishing items and really like them. I ordered the Red Isis reel recently since I am having some issues with one of my Abu Garcia C3's. I plan to use the C3 as a backup once I get the Okuma in play.

Jay,

I have an okuma induron 400 idx and I really like it. It took a little getting used to from my abu but that might just had been me...... I am pretty sure that the isis comes with a power handle but if not get ahold of california musky on the m1st site, he hooked me up with one free!

Enjoy!

Jacob

Jacob,

Glad to hear it. I did order mine with a power handle over the 2/twin paddle or whatever they call those things. Can't wait to get some line on her and give her a try!!

Jay

Well, got the line on the reel this evening and am ready to try this beast out. They actually sent the reel with the twin paddle attached and the power handle separate. I initially planned to throw the power handle on right away but like the feel of the twin paddle too. I'll give that a try this weekend and see how that feels. Its cool to have both as an option.

i bought a 401 idx a while back on ebay.

first cast, the clicker broke, and the drag was just horrendous.

fixed it, kept breaking.

relegated it to trolling. then sold it to someone that said he didn't care, and bought it "as is". i have two of the line counter reels, and, as usual, the drag is terrible, and the clicker switches actually broke off.

other than that, they still work, but, i'd buy another brand and sell these in a heartbeat....except they're the only company right now that sells line counters in a left hand crank model. why can't diawa just see there is actually a market for right handed fishermen that fish the RIGHT way by using lefthanded cranking reels.

whole different rant there though!

I had the Red Isis out for a few hours on Sunday and really like it. For one thing, the profile fits my hand better than the Abu C3 and C4. I also like the handle style more. I shouldn't have to worry about the clicker much since I rarely troll. Heck if the handle doesn't fall off like it did on both of the Abu's, that will make me happy enough. LOL Obviously time will tell, but I like what I have seen so far. Now I just need to hook some fish to give that drag some work.

Looks like you have been talking about casting reels so I didn't reply, but since I saw Yetti's reply about Okuma trolling reels, I thought I would chime in. I own ten Okuma Covector and/or Catalina line counter trolling reels and use them alot. They are great...obviously...I own ten. Do not buy an Okuma Magda. That must be what Yeti has. Convectors and Catalinas have loud clickers, smooth drags, and nice winch handles. Very reliable. Haven't had any problems with the Convectors at all. Had a minor problem with my oldest Catalinas that was an easy fix and never had another issue. If anyone is looking for a trolling reel, I would highly recommend Okuma Covector size 30 line counters. Very reasonably priced also.

need to clarify

the 2 i have right now for trolling are the convector 30's.
    i musta got reels outta the bad batch! or made on overtime! lol

the clicker is nice and loud though...and they hold a TON of line.

Yeti
    You must just have bad luck. I saw on another post that you had a bad experience with Minn Kota on board chargers. We had one in our old boat for 8 yrs and as far as I know it's still going strong. One of the two on board chargers in our new boat is a Minn Kota and it has been good too.

One thing that I can say that has consistantly been bad for us over the years are Abu Garcia reels for casting. Always used the C3,4, 5, whatever and they break fast...within a seaon and we don't cast that much. I just bought a new Revo Toro this spring. Spent almost $300 hoping it was better quality. Sweet reel. Like the low profile, power handle, etc, but it is trashed already too. Used it maybe 6 days. Musky Shop was good enough to send me a new one. We'll see how long before it breaks too.