www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Favorite Fish Cooking Recipes/Prep Techniques & Videos

Default Favorite Fish Cooking Recipes/Prep Techniques & Videos

Please feel free to post your favorite fish cooking recipes, fish cleaning techniques and fish cooking and cleaning videos in this thread.

Default dilled fish with tomatoes

you will need
    2lb pike fillets or steaks, 2 tbs flour, 2 tbs cornmeal, 2tsp salt,
    dash of pepper, 4 tbs shortening, 8 heads fresh dill, 4 medium tomatoes peeled and sliced

Dip fish into flour and cornmeal seasoned with salt and pepper and brown in shortening

reduce heat arrange half of the dill on the fish cover with tomato slices then place remaining dill on top dash with as much salt and pepper as you like

cover and cook over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes

serve imediatly
    Last edited by backwoods; 06-12-2009 at 03:13 AM.

Default deviled fish

you will need

1 1/2 lb fish fillets, 1 1/2 tsp salt, few dashes red pepper, 2 tbs prepared mustard, 3 tbs chili sauce, 2tbs horseradish

choose any firm-fleshed, fine-textured tasty fish

sprinkle flesh side of fillet with salt and pepper then roll up fillets skin side out
    to form a coil, fasten with a toothpick and stand on end side by side in a buttered glas pan

mix mustard, chili sauce, a few dashes of red pepper,and horseradish pour on top of fish and spred around

bake covered at 400 F. for 25 minutes then uncover and bake 20 minutes longer

serve piping hot

Default fish creole

you will need

1/2 cup butter, 4tbs chopped onions, 1 1/3 cups chopped celery, 4 tbs chopped green pepper, 1/2 cup flour, 5 cups canned tomatoes,
    2/3 cup water,2 bay leafs, 1 1/2 lb fish cooked and flaked apart,
    salt to tast

melt butter in larg skillet or pot, add onion, celery and green pepper
    simmer about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
    blend in flour, add tomatoes and water, and stir until sauce boils and thickens.
    add bay leafs fish and salt cover and simmer for about 15 minutes
    remove bay leafs and serve hot over mashed or baked potatoes or rice

Default Pickled Fish

This works well with Smelt and smaller Whitefish,Herring or Sardines.
    1 Quart white vinegar
    6 garlic cloves, mashed
    4 bay leafs
    12 black peppercorns
    1 tbls paprika
    Blend ingredients & bring to a boil.

Clean & wash fish then pat dry.
    Salt & pepper fish to taste then dredge in flour.
    Fry fish till done & place in bowl. Cover with pickling mixture and refrigerate at least 8 hours or at least as long as you can stand it before testing. I and guests have eaten the whole batch before they got cold.
    Keep refigerated.
    I sometimes add the juice from a jar of bread & butter pickles to the pickling mixture. Pre mixed pickling spices work well also! Enjoy!

Great idea...cant wait to try some diff recip.will post my fav wall. batt soon.I know SOMEONE [jkreg] who has a crab/wall cake I hope to see soon.
    Last edited by jtourangeau; 06-12-2009 at 10:52 PM.
    KEEP THE SLOT ON BAY DE NOC

Default pickled pike

Ingredients:
    4 to 5 lbs. Pike filleted with or with out Y-bone
    1 Cup canning salt
    White vinegar
    3 cups sugar white or white brown mix
    1 cup white wine
    1/2 cup mixed pickling spice
    2 large Onions (sliced)
    garlic slices to tast
    Cut filleted fish into 1'' to 2'' pieces. Using a crock porcelain or glass container, mix brine of 1 cup canning salt to 2 quarts water (or strong enough to float an egg). Soak fish pieces for 48 hours- stir after 24 hours. Drain and discard brine. Rinse fish and return to container. Cover fish with white vinegar for another 24 hours drain and discard vinegar. Make pickling solution of 4 cups white vinegar and 3 cups sugar. Heat enough to dissolve sugar. Cool solution in refrigerator a few hours or until cold. Add 1 cup white wine and 1/2 cup of mixed picking spices. Layer fish in jars with sliced onions in between. Cover fish with pickling solution and seal. Refrigerate at least 1 week. Enjoy!

If you leave the Y-bones in the fish, let them sit in the solution 2 weeks or more. This will allow the pickling solution to soften the bones. I take some of the cloves out of standard pickling spice bought at the store. To many cloves can be too strong

Default burbot stuffed eggs in tomato sauce

4 hard cooked eggs 1 cup fresh cooked bubot chopped
    2 tbs mayonnaise 2 slices bread toasted and quartered
    1 tbs milk 1/4 cup sharp grated cheese
    1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon lemon juice

remove shells from egs and cut in half lengthwise. remove yolks and mash them in a bowl add mayo, milk, salt and lemon juice blend thoroughly.
    add burbot lightly heap egg white halfs and place on toast 1/4ers arranged
    in a single layer in a glass baking dish pour tomato sauce (below) over all.
    sprinkle with cheese and bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes. searve immediately

tomato sauce
    1/2 teaspoons green pepper 1/8 teaspoon onion juice
    1 tbls finely chopped celery small can tomato soup
    2 tbls butter 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon sugar

saute' green pepper and celery in butter until soft , about 5 minutes.
    add remaining ingredients and stir to blend well bring to a boil
    and your done
    Last edited by backwoods; 06-23-2009 at 03:39 AM. Reason: fixin it

Default how to fillet a pike video

Default how to fillet a burbot

not the best video but the best i could find

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6nJrc3B0AU

Default recipe

medic179
    Junior Member Join Date: May 2008

Salmon Recipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is my favorite recipe for salmon.

Get a bottle of salmon rub (prudhommes or mccormicks) and liberally season the meat side of the fillets as your grill is getting hot.

Melt a stick of butter in a pan

let salmon fillets sit for about 20 minutes in fridge to allow seasoning to penetrate the meat.

place salmon, meat side down on a pre greased/ hot grill for 3 minutes.

turn fillets over and baste with butter often until salmon done

thats it..... great simple recipe

Thumbs up My best way to do Salmon

Does not get any easier than this peoples.

Start by putting your Salmon (skinned) in a big ziplock bag. Depending on how many pieces you have then take frozen Lemonade concentrate and also put into ziplock. Try to make sure all of the fish are covered by it. You may need two cans. Do NOT add water with it. Nothing but concentrate. Let sit in fridge for overnight. Then you can put any seasoning you want on it. Magic Salmon Seasoning is the best that we have found by Chef Paul Prudhomme (pipcture on the 7oz. can looks like Dom Deluise. Sprinkle this or anything else on it. Put it on some tin foil on the grill and enjoy. You can really taste the lemonade in it.

Default Bacon Wrapped Walleye appetizers

Pre-cook bacon. Don't overcook bacon, leave it limp. Cut the bacon in half so the strips are half as long. Cut walleye fillets into 1.5" square bite size pieces. Wrap the walleye pieces each with a piece of bacon, insert a toothpick to hold in place. Heat grill to med/low and lay a piece of tin-foil down. Place the bacon wrapped walleye on the tin-foil to cook, flipping them once. when done put a dap of BBQ sauce on them. Enjoy.

Default Anyone smoke walleye?

I just tried this last week when smoking a batch of salmon. I'd never heard of anyone doing it, but decided to try it. It turned out ok, I think I can make it better. Let me explain...

I usually leave my smoker salmon in pretty big pieces and the walleye I thawed out was quite a bit smaller pieces. Because the pieces were smaller, they absorbed more brine and got a little extra salty and of course they dried out a little when cooked alongside larger pieces of fish. I did take them off early, but it was not early enough. In any event, the fish was firmer than salmon when smoked, because it was a little overcooked, it was almost a little rubbery.

I think I will try it again, but will try to match the size pieces better with the salmon I'm doing along with it, so it doesn't get over brined or over cooked.

FWIW, my smoking recipe:

I use about 7-8# fillets. Dissolve 1Cup table salt and 1C brown sugar in 1 qt warm water til dissolved. Add 3 quarts more cold water. Sometimes I throw ice in the quarts as I measure them out to cool it before the fish goes in. That's it, I brine it for 8-9 hours. Soak apple and hickory chips at same time.

Rinse fillets well and set out to dry with a fan on them for 20-30 minutes, trying to get that skin on them so seal in moisture. I put newspapers down, then wax paper. Be sure to spray your racks with no stick spray, really helps with cleanup.

I have a propane smoker with thermometer on the door and try to get it 220-230F for 1.5 hrs before I turn them over for about 1+ hr more. I always like it, but when it comes right off the smoker is when it's the best...Still warm!

Wrap what will be eaten soon in foil, the rest gets foil, then vacuum packed for freezer.

As I said, next time I do walleye, I'll probably cut brine time to 5-6 hours and time in smoker maybe 1.25 hrs total.

BTW, this recipe was given to me by a good fisherman named Dan. He's a good coach
    Last edited by DooFighter; 11-24-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

Smile walleye and stuffing

Ok try this,
    cook 4 pc. bacon
    Sautee in bacon grease the following chopped veg.
    2 sm. onion
    2 clove garlic
    3 celery
    7-8 mushrooms
    After veggies are soft add 1 1/2 cup hot water and a box of stovetop stuffing
    fluff
    In a greased baking dish add two nice walleye fillet'
    season with garlic salt and season salt and salt and pepper to taste
    place bacon on fillet's
    spread stuffing mix over the fillet and bacon
    bake for 20-25 min. on 425

OMG enjoy.. be greedy and dont share because in an hour or so you will want more......

Cool Baked Walleye (or any flaky fish) with Soffritto Butter

Soffritto is a flavor base that is used in Latino cooking and Italian cooking when cooking soups or stews . This recipe will also work well with chicken or even pork chops. Huge flavor from a simple recipe.

2- onions chopped
    1- jalapeno chopped
    3- celery ribs chopped
    1-red pepper chopped
    1/2 of a whole bulb of garlic chopped
    salt and pepper
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Saute all the above in a little olive oil until nice and tender and almost caramelized. Place all cooked ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth. Add 4 TBSP of butter and a handfull of fresh parsley and a big handful of fresh cilantro. Process again until smooth and add salt and pepper again to taste.
    Using any white flaky type fish, put fish filets on a buttered baking dish and spread some of the soffritto mixture on each filet coating evenly.
    Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes and then Broil for 2 minutes or until the way you like the top to look. Serve with your favorite sides and Ice cold Beer!!!
    Slammer!!!

gotta add alotta tarter sauce to lil bay de noc walleyefishy tasting they are but but perch are good

Default tarter

dont really care too much for fish from up there. Perch are good eyes seem fishy. Im used to winnebago walleye im spoiled. Tarter sauce my friends lots of tarter lol.

Default Pike filleting video.

Is there any way to get the Pike filleting video back up. I would like to send it to a friend?
    It says "Removed by Poster" and shows some other pics. Maybe been hacked?

The video was removed on You Tube which we have no control over.
    Here is a how to fillet a pike video and helpful info for cleaning your catch below
    How to Clean Your Catch

Thanks

Default Cajun Blackened Smallmouth Bass

This week we caught some nice Smallies and I cooked them with "Paul Prudome's Cajun Blackened Fish Spice" unbelieveable!

Default Cod Fish Recipie

Two large cod fillets

A half of yellow pepper finely chopped

A whole green pepper finely chopped

A whole medium size jalopeno pepper finely chopped

Add seeds from one half of jalopeno to peppers

Take a glass baking dish cover bottom of it with thin coating of olive oil. Take cod fillets place them in dish spread a little bit of olive oil on fillets. Put a little bit of kosher salt, and tones restaurant style black pepper on fillets. Put your peppers on top of fillets. Place dish on grill at 275 to 300 for 40 to 50 minutes do not cover.