www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Favorite Fish Cooking Recipes/Prep Techniques & Videos

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anyone smoke walleye?

I just tried this last week when smoking a batch of salmon. I'd never heard of anyone doing it, but decided to try it. It turned out ok, I think I can make it better. Let me explain...

I usually leave my smoker salmon in pretty big pieces and the walleye I thawed out was quite a bit smaller pieces. Because the pieces were smaller, they absorbed more brine and got a little extra salty and of course they dried out a little when cooked alongside larger pieces of fish. I did take them off early, but it was not early enough. In any event, the fish was firmer than salmon when smoked, because it was a little overcooked, it was almost a little rubbery.

I think I will try it again, but will try to match the size pieces better with the salmon I'm doing along with it, so it doesn't get over brined or over cooked.

FWIW, my smoking recipe:

I use about 7-8# fillets. Dissolve 1Cup table salt and 1C brown sugar in 1 qt warm water til dissolved. Add 3 quarts more cold water. Sometimes I throw ice in the quarts as I measure them out to cool it before the fish goes in. That's it, I brine it for 8-9 hours. Soak apple and hickory chips at same time.

Rinse fillets well and set out to dry with a fan on them for 20-30 minutes, trying to get that skin on them so seal in moisture. I put newspapers down, then wax paper. Be sure to spray your racks with no stick spray, really helps with cleanup.

I have a propane smoker with thermometer on the door and try to get it 220-230F for 1.5 hrs before I turn them over for about 1+ hr more. I always like it, but when it comes right off the smoker is when it's the best...Still warm!

Wrap what will be eaten soon in foil, the rest gets foil, then vacuum packed for freezer.

As I said, next time I do walleye, I'll probably cut brine time to 5-6 hours and time in smoker maybe 1.25 hrs total.

BTW, this recipe was given to me by a good fisherman named Dan. He's a good coach
    Last edited by DooFighter; 11-24-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"