www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lake Arthur babies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lake Arthur babies

My brother just called and told while cast netting for some bait fish at Lake Arthur he brought in around 60 fingerling musky, of course they were all returned safely. I can only hope they make the journey to the 50" mark.

Is cast netting for bait legal? What are the rules if any?
    I always wondered.

From the PFBC site.........

TAKING AND KEEPING BAIT is permitted using rod and reel or handline, dip net, or minnow seine not over 4 feet square in diameter, or a minnow trap with no more than two openings that shall not exceed 1 inch in diameter. All devices must be under the immediate control of the person using them. Unattended minnow traps or baitfish containers left in Commonwealth waters must be identified with the owner’s or user’s name, address, and telephone number. If fishing in a group and the total number of fishbait or baitfish taken exceeds the possession limit (50), separate containers must be provided for the fishbait and baitfish. Total possession limit in any one container may not exceed 50 baitfish or fishbait combined.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Default Cast Nets

The Fish Commission has a special permit available that allows the use of a cast net up to 10 ft on certain lakes, Moraine being one of them.
    You can only keep Gizard Shads less than 8 inches and Alewifes. I believe there are only a certain amout of permits available each year.
    Rich W

I wondered about that but never checked into it.
    I thought it would be a good way to get some suckers in the trout stream in the summer when they are bunched up in the slower holes.
    I figured there was some rules...