www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Helicopter spraying the Allegheny

Default Helicopter spraying the Allegheny

I was fishing the River near the refinery and saw a helicopter dip down and spray the surface with an orange substance. It then flew over me heading downstream and dropped down and did it again.
    Does anybody have any idea what's going on with this?
    I thought about calling the Fish Commission.

They have been doing that for years, I always thought it was some sort of insecticide.

Yep.......insecticide for black flies....kills the eggs on the surface of slack water areas.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Just take a deep breath as they spray over.....won't hurt ya..

I haven't seen that yet.

Saw it last summer for the first time. Happened directly infront of out our camp. It actually kinda cool. That pilot was pretty good. They waved goodbye when they left, probably to make the 20+ people staring at them feel comfortable about a random UNMARKED helicopter dropping stuff in the river!!

Yep, I've seen it a couple times down here on the Yough! It seems like they always do it in the fast moving riffles. Is that where they put it in the Allegheny?

Brian

This helicopter was definitely marked (of course my memory is no good). He sprayed above and below the bridge. Kind of dipped down and turned sideways when he sprayed.
    I thought he might have been equipped to do some sort of geological prospecting, because there were 4 antenna looking things sticking out of the right side. Apparently they were spray pipes.
    I was able to video him with my camera the second time he sprayed.

A quick Google search reveals:

Treatments consist of aerial applications of environmentally-safe, naturally-occurring soil bacteria, Bti.

Pennsylvania DEP Launches Annual Black Fly Control Program

Aerial Spraying Begins in 33 Counties

HARRISBURG, Pa., April 22 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Pennsylvania is launching its annual black fly spraying program to control populations of the insects that pose a nuisance to outdoor recreation, Environmental Protection acting Secretary John Hanger said today.

"Controlling black flies helps to ensure that our citizens and visitors can enjoy warm weather outdoor activities without suffering painful bites," Hanger said. "The department has been monitoring waterways for the presence of black fly larvae and will begin aerial spraying to target the black fly species that can ruin time spent outdoors."

Governor Edward G. Rendell's proposed fiscal year 2009-10 budget holds the line on the cost of these services by allocating $6.8 million for the black fly suppression program, which will allow over 1,500 stream miles to be treated.

DEP uses Bti, a naturally occurring bacterium, to target four specific black fly species. This bacterium degrades quickly in the environment and does not harm the aquatic ecosystem, birds or other insects. Spraying is done by helicopter during daylight hours.

Spraying depends on weather conditions and will not be done when it is heavily raining or if river and stream levels are elevated. If the water level is too high and the water is moving too rapidly, the material used for the spraying is carried away from the targeted location before it can be effective.

"DEP notifies county and local emergency management officials prior to spraying so they can be certain the helicopters seen flying over creeks, streams and rivers are doing so on behalf of the state's black fly program," said Hanger. "If any member of the public has questions when they see a helicopter spraying, they can call their county emergency management office to verify that a black fly treatment is taking place in their area on that day."

The state pays for the bulk of this program, but participating counties also contribute. This is the final year of a contract that has kept costs for the service constant despite the rising costs of fuel and supplies. Services are currently provided by Helicopter Applicators, Inc. of Gettysburg.

Spraying for black flies is expected to begin as water levels recede to where the treatment can be effective, and surveillance shows sufficient numbers of black fly larvae present. Spraying typically begins between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. and continues until all waterways are completed, or until dark.

For more information on Pennsylvania's Black Fly Suppression Program, visit www.depweb.state.pa.us, keyword: Black Fly.

EDITOR'S NOTE: The following is a list of the 33 counties and 44 waterways to be sprayed for black flies:

Adams: Conewago Creek

Armstrong: Allegheny River, Kiskiminetas River, Mahoning Creek, Redbank Creek

Beaver: Connoquenessing Creek

Berks: Maiden Creek, Manatawny Creek, Schuylkill River, Tulpehocken Creek

Bradford: Chemung River, North Branch Susquehanna River, Wyalusing Creek

Bucks: Delaware River, Neshaminy Creek, Tohickon Creek

Butler: Slippery Rock Creek

Clarion: Allegheny River, Clarion River, Redbank Creek

Clearfield: Chest Creek, West Branch Susquehanna River

Clinton: Bald Eagle Creek, Pine Creek, West Branch Susquehanna River

Columbia: Fishing Creek, North Branch Susquehanna River

Cumberland: Conodoguinet Creek, Susquehanna River, Yellow Breeches Creek

Dauphin: Juniata River, Mahantango Creek, Susquehanna River, Swatara Creek

Elk: Clarion River

Fayette: Youghiogheny River

Forest: Allegheny River, Clarion River, Tionesta Creek

Indiana: Conemaugh River, Kiskiminetas River

Juniata: Juniata River, Susquehanna River, Tuscarora Creek

Lawrence: Connoquenessing Creek, Neshannock Creek, Slippery Rock Creek

Luzerne: North Branch Susquehanna River

Lycoming: Loyalsock Creek, Pine Creek, West Branch Susquehanna River

Mifflin: Juniata River

Northampton: Delaware River

Northumberland: Mahantango Creek, North Branch Susquehanna River, Susquehanna River, West Branch Susquehanna River

Perry: Juniata River, Sherman Creek, Susquehanna River

Schuylkill: Schuylkill River

Snyder: Middle Creek, Penns Creek, Susquehanna River

Union: Penns Creek, West Branch Susquehanna River

Venango: Allegheny River, French Creek, Oil Creek, Sandy Creek, Sugar Creek

Warren: Allegheny River, Brokenstraw Creek, Conewango Creek

Westmoreland: Conemaugh River, Kiskiminetas River

Wyoming: North Branch Susquehanna River, Tunkhannock Creek

York: Conewago Creek, Susquehanna River, Yellow Breeches Creek

(717) 787-1323

SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection

Back to Press Releases Index

The information on this page is provided by PR Newswire. All rights reserved. Reproduction or redistribution of this content without prior written consent from PR Newswire is strictly prohibited. Philadelphia is not responsible for this content.

PR Toolkit powered by PR Newswire

Pr Logo See your news in Bizjournals & other media. How? Distribute your Release through PR Newswire. For a limited time, get a 1-Year Membership to PR Newswire FREE of charge. FIND OUT MORE »