www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Bass & Pike in Mid July

Default Bass & Pike in Mid July

Hey,
    I was wondering where a few good places to go are to find these fish? I'm staying at Steamboat bay. The last time i came up was in 04 and we rented a muskie guide and had little success. but i'm more of a bass fisherman. While we were there i didnt catch much untill the last 2 days and i got everything right in Steamboat. I didn't go to far out on the lake but did make it to the narrows (boat problems). Now the boat is fixed i can go about anywhere. So my family and I are comming up to try it again. Any good info is greatly apreciated. Or even if there are a couple of other good lakes to fish around there as well.

Thanks, Charlie.

Default Bass & Pike

Steamboat is a good location for both bass and pike. Look for the wild rice beds and other vegetation in shallow water. One thing that is present throughout Leech Lake is that the bass stay in shallow weedy areas all year.

Sucker Bay is a very good area to find both species. Again look for the weeds. The best area is Boy Bay behind Bear Island. Same structure will hold fish. Also the upper most part of Portage Bay has a good population of bass.

Most of the areas also hold pike but the big pike head to cooler water soon after spawning. They suspend and feast on Cisco's.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com