www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water temps and weed growth

Default Water temps and weed growth

Hey Frank

Only 2 weeks till opener and I was curious as to the state of the lake to compare it to last year. Do you know water temps, if there is any signs of weed growth, what water levels are at? I know we have had a horribly cold spring so I am sure things are quite behind and not to be a pessimist but its looking like below normal temps for the coming week as well. Muskies will probably be still in the spawn come opener EH.

Thanks
    Andrew

Speaking of Spawn, I think Frank must still be in the spawnning mode (very preoccupied and or laying low). Hopefully there are some weeds come opener for those heading up. I know where I'd be fishing in a few weeks; they should be stacked in da bays. Water height should be on the LOTWs board but water temps, bet Dick Smith knows what they were at last week.

53-57 degrees depending on wether the sun was shining and what spot you were in. Probably will go backwards with todays and tomorrows weather.

You were right Dennis as I spent last week at Franks. We fished in a lot of spots that you fish and found the temperatures between 53 and 61 degrees. Of course the shallow bays were the warmest but with the cool weather, the temperatures dropped every day. The fish like us, were looking for weeds but most spots were just starting to show. eg: 7' water - 6-12" weeds. The thickest concentration of growth was showing in the French Portage. Should be good for the Musky opener. Lots of Pike will get in your way though. Seems to be a lot of them around. Caught them trolling, jigging and casting. I think that I filled up my Lund with Walleye and Pike during the week. Lots of action and fun to catch.

Dick, figured as much on the water temps. Glad the walleye were going great. I actually like bringing some pike home as well, they cook up nice.

I think the muskie opener is going to be tough this year, not to put a damper on things. Just a lot of spots for this time of year won't be doing much (at least I think anyway). I'd spend most of my time really IN the bays if I was heading up in a few weeks.

Walleye fishing should be assume for some time!

Thanks for the info guys. It will be interesting to see what the weather does in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully it gets warmer. Was out today fishing smallies and it was windy and cold on the water. I can't believe it is June and the main lake was 52-53 degrees where I was.

I knew that Algore guy was going to screw up the global warming thing. Dammit!
    GO BIG RED!!

Here in central Wisconsin we are seeing the coldest 4 consecutive days in June in 40 years. I sure hope it warms up the last couple weeks of June or it will be a struggle early like last July. I sure don't care to go through annother first 2 weeks of July like last year.

Smile

Hi.Been there awhile but had to run home a few days.When I got up there the temps ran from 58 to 60 in the Bays.They dropped to the lower 50s then struggled back to the mid 50s.
    Everything was biting when I got there,then things slowed a bit but started up again Sunday.
    Walleyes have been fabulous.Sunday some guys were into the 29" kind.
    Frankie won't be here for awhile,his mower is stuck.

Forgot the 'weed' part.Very few,very far behind.
    The only serious weeds were in my yard.I worked them hard but all I got was hassled by the 'boss',a springer,a lab and a BIG chesapeake who drifted in from a neighbors.

I agree with Dick. We just got back and saw very, VERY little weeds. We did cast the few weed patches we saw north of the cribs and picked up several big pike in the 40" range. Fish off rocks/bays were scattered but we still managed more than a few.
    And just to wet the musky guys whistle, we did see some "super tankers".
    Water temps ranged from 48-58, depending on the bay and the time of the week. They actually got colder later in the week just due to cold front after cold front. Actually cleaned fish in the snow/sleet on Friday AM... Yes in June.
    That said the walleyes were still on fire. And consistantly bigger than last years crop.
    All and all I think it should be another banner year. Cant wait to get back, 19 days and counting.

What's this? My Mac sez it will be 70 on both Friday and Saturday, mid 70's Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Woohoo! Keep it up!
    GO BIG RED!!

Weeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just going to ask. Temps must be climbing rapidly. Was on Shoal lake yesterday and main lake was about 63. Seeing any muskies spawning in the shallows?

Yes! Looks like they are having lots of fun! Low 60's here also, but rising rapidly.

Doug Johnson

Andrew,
    Doug nailed it.In addition,today was by far the best smallie fishing in a long while.Everything shaping up nicely.
    Hi to the much better half!
    Dick

And you nailed it with "the much better half" just don't tell her or I won't hear the end of it.
    Awesome to hear the report can't wait to get up there, see ya in 4 more sleeps.

I'm beginning to feel like I might be able to do more than get follows and net my wife's fish this year. Could it be?

Stupid fish. Don't they recognize expertly presented lures when they see 'em?

Regardless, it will be good to get away and decompress.
    GO BIG RED!!

'Decompress'?That sounds like something my wife does with coffee beans.
    Actually,since Andrew started this thread,suppose I should say Tim Horton coffee beans.

Quote Originally Posted by dpear View Post
    'Decompress'?That sounds like something my wife does with coffee beans.
    Actually,since Andrew started this thread,suppose I should say Tim Horton coffee beans.
    This is a tough room to work.

I was going to use "unwind" but then I figured some smart guy would reply, "Hey, that sounds like something Evinrude owners do with their starter ropes."

Maybe "decompress" is a little too yuppy'ish for this crowd. I mean, here in the cornfields of Nebraska, we use words like that all the time, but perhaps it's a little too cutting edge for northern MN, um... eh?

Anyway, I plan on relaxing a little between 50's and just enjoying that clean pine air.
    GO BIG RED!!

Talking on the way

smallies dpear? sounds like the crusty curmudgeon has a soft side.

on I29 as I type this on my phone (riding not driving). hoping to run into you and uncle frank at some point this week.

ej

Decompress???? That's what Jacques Cousteau did after a deep dive.

Goofy Starbuck's coffee drinking yuppies!!!!
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

I gotcha Tim. Here in the wheat fields of Manitoba we understand words like that and we definitly favour the Tim Hortons beans over those Yuppy Starbucks beans for any decompression that is happening EH.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Walsh View Post
    Decompress???? That's what Jacques Cousteau did after a deep dive.

Goofy Starbuck's coffee drinking yuppies!!!!
    I'm waaayyyyy too cheap to drink Starbuck's, if I did drink coffee. 6 years in the USN and even they couldn't teach me to like the stuff. And my Mom is a Swede on top of that! She tried to get me hooked on the stuff but I was resistant. I've seen too many old Swedes.

Coffee smells good but it ends there.
    GO BIG RED!!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    I gotcha Tim. Here in the wheat fields of Manitoba we understand words like that and we definitly favour the Tim Hortons beans over those Yuppy Starbucks beans for any decompression that is happening EH.
    Saw some custom combine crews heading south yesterday. Gettin' to be that time of year.
    GO BIG RED!!

Quote Originally Posted by esoxjunkie View Post
    smallies dpear? sounds like the crusty curmudgeon has a soft side.

on I29 as I type this on my phone (riding not driving). hoping to run into you and uncle frank at some point this week.

ej
    I will be enjoying the expansion joints of I-29 this Friday AM. Should be coasting on into Frank's sometime Saturday morning.

I'm starting to get a little excited. Good thing I don't drink coffee.
    GO BIG RED!!

Where are you stopping along the way? It only takes me 10.5 hours from Omaha towing my Lund. One day in time for beer thirty on the barge.

Quote Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
    Where are you stopping along the way? It only takes me 10.5 hours from Omaha towing my Lund. One day in time for beer thirty on the barge.

We are laying over at Bemidji. We are going in through Baudette and launching out of Morson. We usually only cruise about 65-70MPH tops as well.

Yeah, it's the long way in I know, but I'm not going to beat up my boat on the gravel any more.
    GO BIG RED!!

Gravel?
    They paved it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by dpear View Post
    Gravel?
    They paved it last year.
    Paved? What'd I miss? The NW Angle road was paved? The grueling Manitoba shock absorber test ground 525/308 combo was paved?

Nobody tells me anything.
    GO BIG RED!!

Sure. Part of the Stimulus Package.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

Well,maybe not exactly paved,but as Frank says,'stimulating'.In an I29 joint expansion way.Or maybe a little worse.Or maybe a little more than a little worse.

No way would it qualify under the Stimulus Package, it's not remote enough!

Wow, I see upper 70's for the weekend....looks like the good lord is making ready the woods for the vets. Water levels coming down? Water dirty?

Ed
    Last edited by Ed Spoerl; 06-17-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Waters still pretty clear.Level appears to be remaining about the same.(unscientific comment based on my favorite smallie spot showing about one inch of rock exposed daily.)Weeds progressing nicely.Rain in the forecast along with the warm temps.

Ed,
    Was just down at Frankies dock BS ing and waiting for a friend and noticed the water may be down an inch or two-although it could be wind related.
    Still high though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast