www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Round Lake - Muskies

Default Round Lake - Muskies

Hey Tanner, or anybody else that might have some information. I recently moved up to the area (Stone Lake). Tanner, I talked to you at the MN musky show this spring. My fiance is the one that got a job at Anderson Hager Moe...not sure if you would remember that conversation.

ANYWAY, it seems like everything I hear about Round for muskies is that there are some big fish in there but they are extremely hard to come by. I'm sure it can be a tough lake.

Does anyody here fish it, and is it worth putting the time in on it, or am I better off spending more time on Grindstone and LCO (not to mention they are a 10 minute drive from where I am living right now)? I don't mind a challenge, and I am getting more and more interested in catching BIG fish, but I still like a mix of numbers of fish and size.

If you have any information you'd like to share just let me know. Thanks!

Tucker Jacobson

i am also interested in Round's muskies, but haven't worked it for muskies in there yet. from what i've read and talking to locals up in the hayward area...there used to be PIGS in Round Lake (i've heard 20 to 30 years ago). i think the dnr is trying to get the big ones back in there with stocking and tighter regs, but i am not sure where they are at with that.

if you ever go grab a beer or dinner at "the ranch" off of 77 eastbound, you will see a mount of a musky by the bar area that is 40+ lbs in a glass case taken off round in the mid 80's. if i do hit Round for muskies sometime, i will make it an overcast/dark day, or late night/early morning--because of the gin clear water. trolling is allowed and i think that might be a good way to locate the fish.

walleyes in Round are back on track and numerous after years of over-harvest, and i know that there are nice smallies in there...a lot of 18-20"s.

good luck

Default Round Muskies

I can't speak to total numbers, but I saw 3 muskies in the mid-upper 30s while smallie fishing a couple weeks ago on Round. Based on the number of suckers I also saw in Round, it seems they have plenty to eat besides Bull Dawgs and bucktails.

Tucker,
    Yeah I do remember talking to you. Round lake has got a very small population of adult muskies, they have been stocking it hard the last number of years, but the fish have just gotten to the low to mid 30 inch range. realistically you are better off fishing on LCO, Grindstone, Sand, Siss, and whitefish in your area, more action and still a great shot at a 50 incher. Round lake has some fish in it, all of my fish from there have come when trolling in november, and even then, its not alot of fish.

Hope this helps you out.

Tanner
    Captain Tanner Wildes Guide Service
    Tanner Wildes
    Web Site: http://www.tannerwildes.com

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a feeling I might be better off sticking to the lakes closer to home anyway...I just wanted to hear it from everyone else and a guide - HAHA!

I've been making a couple trips up to the area each year and we've got some fish from Sand and a couple from Grindstone. Love the flowage too but haven't put a ton of musky time in on it. Fished LCO just once at night, so I have a lot of learning to do out there.

Thanks for the help. I should be fishing the area lakes fairly regularly so I'll try to remember to leave some reports for everybody.

Thanks again,

Tucker