www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Suspended Musky

Default Suspended Musky

Do you guys tend to have more action by trying to "match the hatch" or throwing a bait that looks like something ET would use for suspended fish? I am leaning toward using something that looks different than the baitfish that might be concentrated on a particular spot.

I've been fishing for Tiger Muskellunge (no naturals where I live) and they suspend quite often (like Muskies) adjacent to structure (secondary drop-offs or the tops of trees about 20' below the surface) or follow bait schools. Find bait schools ON structure and you are in business.

I fish two different types of lakes as follows:

Lake #1: Forage in the lake is either bluegills, golden shiners or LM Bass. No perch or shad in the lake. The lake is LOADED with underwater trees, drop-offs and secondary drop-offs, with the tops of the trees about 20' below the surface. The Tigers will suspend in the tops of the trees (20' down) or secondary drop-offs when it is hot. NOTE: the forage in this lake is USUALLY fairly shallow and you don't see "clouds" of these baitfish in the thermocline. Thus, the Tigers are IN THE THERMOCLINE without much to eat there. However, I believe they go there because they cannot tolerate the warmer water (like Northern Pike).

Lake #2: no trees but plenty of drop-offs with a ton of shad in the lake. There are also perch in this lake. The Tigers will follow the bait schools. I look for those schools ON the drop-offs. Sometimes (again) I will find a thermocline in this lake in the 18 - 25' depths with the drop-offs present.

My favorite lures: in perch or crappie colors work in BOTH lakes:

1. 8" Partycrashers (large Hellbenders available from Jackson Lures. If you want them, this is the only place I know that carries them on a regular basis)
    2. Straight 8" Believers (10" in the fall).

I use 80# braided line and troll for them. I flatline in the lake with trees and use planer boards in the other lake. I also carry a SERIOUS "plug knocker" to get my lures back. No need for wire line in either lake because the lures go deep enough without it.

I DO find Tiger Muskies at those depths, especially when it gets hot. I've also taken them IN the theromocline with RED/Orange/Black combo lures. The depth of the thermocline at both places is usually at 20' with a "magic depth" of about 18'.

Not sure what the above lures represent to them, but the lures DO work.

There is a wonderful article about trolling the thermocline in the latest issue of Musky Hunter. Lee Snyder also does a great job in his seminars discussing the same topic using wire line. Basically, he trolls two lures (a one-hook spoon and a crank bait) on ONE rod at different depths. This covers the top and bottom (or middle) of the thermocline. Makes sense to me.

Do not rely on the lure box info for the lures true depth. Obviously, you must test your lures, rod/reel, line combos to see how deep your lures are REALLY running. Otherwise - you are just guessing at their depth.

I just purchased a 20HP motor to fish the south eastern PA lakes (I live in Maryland and our Tiger stocking program has stopped to prevent the spread of "VHS" disease). I believe those same methods above will work wherever you fish. The above methods (and lures) will also catch Stripers. Any suggestions of where to fish for them in lower southeast PA? Thanks - Tom (aka - "Muskiekid)
    Last edited by Muskiekid; 06-05-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks for the info!!! Sounds like you have a pretty nice trolling setup. As I am early in my Musky hunting "career", I don't have much in the way of trolling. I will be casting to any of the suspended fish in my neck of the woods. But, having seen some fish doing this, I at least know its possible.

Only place I know of for Stripers is Raystown. I was there this morning and have a report in another post. I've only seen a VERY small portion of that lake, but was impressed with the possibilites. Now I just need to figure out a way to get rid of all the recreational boaters and I'll be fine!! LOL

Tom,

Are you looking for musky or striper locations in SE PA??
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Red: I have the fever!!

Muskies, but I would like to try striper fishing also. Thanks

Marsh Creek Lake and Pinchot (not sure Pinchot is SE or SC) are the two I hear the most about but they can be pretty tough. I would drive the extra mileage hit the Susky before either of those two lakes.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 06-16-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Thanks. My boat is fiberglass and have never fished the Susquehanna and have never fished there because I'm afriad it will get messed up from the rocks. Are there areas on the river that I could launch it without it getting messed up?

Goldsboro or Long Level has good water for a fiberglass boat on the Susquehanna. You still have to be careful at Goldsboro particularly going upriver of Goldsboro, water gets skinny and rocks are abundant. The southern tip of Beshore Island hold some Muskies and BIG Flatheads. There are some nice weed beds between Beshore and the west shore. Large area to troll if you want. Weekends it gets crazy with jet skis, pontoons, high performance boats, and beer brains boaters. Weekdays....all to yourself. When I fish Golsboro I like the area around Beshore Island.

Bob S.

You can also head futher north on the Susky to the town of Sunbury. There is a nice launch above the dam in Shikellamy State Park. It's at the confuence of the north branch and west branch. I've had my 19 ft. prop boat there and was able to safely go approx 1 mile up the west branch, and approx 1/2 mile up the north branch (didn't attempt to try further but may have been able).
    I've also had it in at Gouldsboro once. I basically putted around at idle speed since I wasn't familiar with the water, but it was fine. I still wouldn't go flying around, but it is very fishable with a bigger boat. Just be careful.

Tony

Marsh creek Lake is a small very small lake it will also be a tuff launch . Myself and Dietz fished that with his big glass boat and it was a scary and tuff launch . It does hold some muskies but in previous years numbers are decreasing ,being that it has tigers its tuff to tell the mortality . I do have friends from that chapter 50 the president he fishes it and catches them on occation. For the susky with glass boat sunbury holds some fish .Williamsport holds some very unpresserd fish and is glass friendly . I would try key locations on that part of the river run and gun . It hold big fish though It is low pressure area do to traffic and lack of knowledge of the geo. I will be honest though the best waters you are only going to putt around .It is a different type of fishing only having a 500 yard shot in skinny water to fish but thats were they are .Most is not glass friendly but there is areas that are. Williamsport you should be able to fish for miles both ways .