www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Good King Salmon Action

1. Default Good King Salmon Action

The Reel Action left the dock at 9 a.m. yesterday morning in search of some King Salmon along the Bank Reef. Capt Ben and Capt Chris boxed 9 big kings and missed several others... Flasher and flies took the majority of the fish off dypsy divers and downriggers... The Bank Reef is holding some nice fish and big schools of baitfish. It is great to see solid Kings Salmon fishing this early... We have has some consistant fishing starting in late May..... I think the next few weeks will be very good as the water start to warm a couple more degrees.....
    Good Luck
    Capt Scott
    Reel Action Charters
    Captain Scott Gutschow

Web Site: http://www.reelactioncharters.com/index.shtml

You've probably been too busy netting fish in recent days to post much, both walleyes and salmon! Have to get out with you sometime to tangle with some of those 'eyes. I've heard from you and others that it's been an amazing season for them. I'm not sure how you feel Scott, but I'd like to see a few more of those 'eyes go home with anglers. I can remember when it was "let's release 'em all except one for the wall" sort of thing, but they're getting so thick that even some of my "fishless" friends can catch limits! (LOL). My point is, I believe they may be affecting the perch and Green Bay brown trout as well (cormorants too, of course). What's your take?

Been really heating up on the big lake. Three Southern Door anglers had a 15-fish limit of nice kings at Algoma in three hours tonight. All looked to be roughly about 8 to 15 pounds or so, maybe a couple bigger. Some of the charters had 20- to 30-fish catches this morning. There are some lake trout mixed in on many boats, but mostly kings. Only a few steelhead so far, but not many guys fishing deeper and many steelies still coming off a late spring spawn which might also be affecting the catch.

3. Default Limit Catches

I agree with you on your opinion of the bay right now... There are a ton of walleye in the system... All sizes too. My best trip this year was over 40 fish!! We kept a 3 person limit and released a lot of big and small fish keeping the best fish for the frying pan.... Lots of trips with limit catches of walleye and with the Salmon fishing heating up and limit catches to report up and down the coast all I can say is, "We are truly blessed to have fishing like this in Wisconsin!"... Where else in North America can you catch walleye, smallmouth, kings, and steelhead like this!! and keep a cooler full of fish for the freezer!! I often thought we should offer a "Door County Grand Slam" where a client could fish Salmon, walleye, and smallmouth in the same visit, and potentially catch a trophy of each species....Its conceivable it could happen in the same day... Fish Salmon in the morning, Walleye in the afternoon, and catch some top-water Smallmouth as the sun is setting! Maybe a 18 plus pound king, a 9 plus pound walleye, and a 4 plus pound smallmouth… Very realistic numbers with the potential to improve each or all of them by a few pounds…
    Reel Action Charters
    Captain Scott Gutschow

Web Site: http://www.reelactioncharters.com/index.shtml