www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Panfish

Default Panfish

I will be fishing Little St this weekend. Are the Crappies still on the beds or have the Bluegills taken over the shallows? I'm sure the cold fronts that came through this week did not help the water temps warm up.

You might as well fish the Bluegill caus' theCrappie are all really small...fished there the 21st of may...waste of time.. Little. St. years back was a killer Crappie lake but think it's gotten pounded heavy over the years.

I fished Little St Memorial Day weekend for Crappies. Limited out every moring in about 2 hours with mostly nice size fish. Only threw a few back if they were small or loaded with eggs. That was in addition to the LM Bass and northerns I also picked up in the shallows. Thanks to Ray at Ray's Landing for getting me fishing with Mini Mites a few years ago. If fishing is tough tip them with a small minnow, otherwise you can just fish them plain.

Default details

Could you share what depths and/or type of cover you were fishing for those crappies? I am coming to LSG with my kids next week and they have never caught a crappie and would like to. If you don't want to post it publically, you could send me a PM.

Thanks

The air temperature on the Saturday and Sunday mornings of Memorial Day weekend were in the low 40s. I believe this pushed the Crappies out of the shallows. I was locating fish in the weeds in depths between 4 to 6 feet just outside their spawning areas. The morning temperature of Memorial Day was a little warmer and the fish had moved back into the shallows. I found them stacked up under piers and pontoon boats, anything that provided them shade or cover. I am assuming that the Crappie spawn must be just about over and that by next week they will be back out a little deeper into the weeds. If it stays warm, the Bluegills should be on the beds and your kids can have all the action they want. I always try to be on the water by first light and the panfish activity really slows down by 9 AM when they are that shallow. Hope you and your kids have a great time. If I can help you out any more just let me know.