www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Panfish

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I fished Little St Memorial Day weekend for Crappies. Limited out every moring in about 2 hours with mostly nice size fish. Only threw a few back if they were small or loaded with eggs. That was in addition to the LM Bass and northerns I also picked up in the shallows. Thanks to Ray at Ray's Landing for getting me fishing with Mini Mites a few years ago. If fishing is tough tip them with a small minnow, otherwise you can just fish them plain.

Default details

Could you share what depths and/or type of cover you were fishing for those crappies? I am coming to LSG with my kids next week and they have never caught a crappie and would like to. If you don't want to post it publically, you could send me a PM.

Thanks

The air temperature on the Saturday and Sunday mornings of Memorial Day weekend were in the low 40s. I believe this pushed the Crappies out of the shallows. I was locating fish in the weeds in depths between 4 to 6 feet just outside their spawning areas. The morning temperature of Memorial Day was a little warmer and the fish had moved back into the shallows. I found them stacked up under piers and pontoon boats, anything that provided them shade or cover. I am assuming that the Crappie spawn must be just about over and that by next week they will be back out a little deeper into the weeds. If it stays warm, the Bluegills should be on the beds and your kids can have all the action they want. I always try to be on the water by first light and the panfish activity really slows down by 9 AM when they are that shallow. Hope you and your kids have a great time. If I can help you out any more just let me know.