www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Hook Sharpening

Default Hook Sharpening

I just read an interesting thread on the MH website about barbless hooks which included some info about sharpening. The hook sharpening subject seems to be one that is tough to find detailed information on. I fished most of last year without sharpening a single hook on my baits/flies. That might explain a lot of missed/lost fish, especially with the flyrod.

Being new to the sport, you hear mention about "be sure to have sharp hooks", but I have not really seen anything that shows you how to sharpen the hooks.

I now sharpen hooks on all of my baits (using my own technique) and flies and I really believe that it has made a big difference so far this year. Unfortunately, I haven't got to try them out on a Musky yet, but all in due time.

My question is this, what technique do you guys recommend and are there any sites out there that show certain techniques. I would guess that there are probably as many different styles as there are Musky baits, but anything would be cool to check out.

Jay

On bigger hooks ( 6/0 - 10/0....AND hooks on baits i use A LOT)....i use this method

take a flat bastard file. sharpen the hook from the outside bottom of the hookbend, file inward and up (from barb bottom=to top on an angle).....sharpen one side of the barb to look like an axe blade, then do the other side. do it on all three tines on your trebles. you'll create a knife edge on the inside of the tine of the barb..

then, once you have a pretty good axe like cutting edge/tine/barb edge...THEN take the doubled up rattail file and touch up the VERY tip of the barb to be like a needle.

if i can find time to document this method with pictures, i will. someone showed me this technique, and it absolutely increases penetration and hookup, IMHO, based on recent experience.

a lot of people use a double rattail (round) file that can be bought at just about any musky tackle outlet. they hit up the tips of the hooks and make them sticky.

i like my hooks dangerously sharp.

I usually sharpen "into" the point a few times and then the last couple of strokes I will "go with" the point. IMO, the main concern is continually over-sharpening which can compromise the strength of the hook-point over time.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Default Hook Sharpening

Check out the link from Luhr Jensen.
    http://www.luhrjensen.com/downloads/...Sharpening.pdf

I use a dremmel tool over the winter and go over EVERY hook on EVERY lure I own. Then I use a file while in the boat as needed.

Thanks for the info guys. That link was very interesting. The technique that I have been using sounds similar to some of the descriptions that I have read. I do have to say that my hook points this year have caused way more of my own blood being spilled than last year. So, that has to tell me something!! LOL

Hey muskyjerk, check this out

LMAO Man, I can't stop laughing about this. I know where you are coming from. I get a question in my head and post it without trying to search the archives. At least thats the impression I'm gettin from your post. Luckily for us, they won't "beat ya up" for it on this site like some of the other sites. LOL

Jay

Great basic info in here that was vital to me catchining more fish last year that anyone new to hook sharpening should read. Thought I;d bring it back up top.

cabelas sells the "sure sharp" tool that works great. they make 2 sizes and they aren't that expensive. if you ever want to cut time off sharpening hooks, this is the tool to do it. just put the hookpoint in the groove and work, as red said, from the hook bend towards the point. i don't know what kind of metal they are made of, but you can grind a 5/0 hook down to the barb in no time at all. so you have to watch how much pressure you put on the file. i usually touch up the very tip of the point with a small flat file with very fine teeth. but i think this isn't always necessary. the sure sharp will take metal off in a hurry, and the last quite awhile, plus they don't rust, which is great for tools left on the boat. can't tell you how many pairs of pliers that are now "hammers" because of this.