www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Late June Trip

Default Late June Trip

I'm heading to Leech Lake for a week starting June 20. We are staying at Big Rock Resort. I've not been to the lake before. Is the walleye fishing still likely to be good ?

Thanks

Grady

Default Walleyes

Walleye fishing should remain strong. The only difference will be the location of the fish. They usually move off the shore lines and move to their summer haunts. They will still use some similar structure in low light hours as they do in the spring. Look for the fish to set up on or near many of the mid lake reefs and humps throughout the big lake.

Minnows, crawlers, and leeches are all good live bait presentations in early summer. Time to keep moving and experimenting with bait to find a pattern. Trolling cranks baits or bottom bouncers with crawler harnesses is a productive presentation to cover water and find active fish.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Default June 20th

My wife and boy's spend the summer at Big Rock Resort. We have a place up there. We have been fishing out of Big Rock for the last 8 years. We will get there one week before you. So the time you get there we should be all over the fish. If we can't find good eye fishing, My boys and I always know where the snakes are. My name is Shane and you can fined around the harbor. Just ask somone.

Shane

Thanks Shane. Oddly you've hit on my number one hobby. Sorry to say its not fishing. Of course I really want to spend the majority of my time fishing, I am really interested in what kind of snakes you see. I'm interested in amphibians as well. I've been extremely involved in herpetology for the last 30 years and haven't done any hunting at all in MN.

Default June

In this case I believe "snakes" are in reference to Northern Pike.

DOH! Rookie mistake!

Default Snakes

That was really funny, I'm really scared of real snakes. Yes I was referring to nourthern pike. 6 more days. Can't wait.