www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: this newbie thanks you

Default this newbie thanks you

My name is Adam. My family owns a camp on the allegheny about 5 river miles south of Kennerdell. After years of fishing, we caught our first musky ~24" and our first brown trout ~12" over the memorial day weekend. I must say I have caught the bug!

After reading this forum I have learned so much from all of you that I must thank you for making this transition from strictly smallmouth to the much bigger world of the Allegheny river much smoother for me! I bought my first bucktail and a Zara spook the other day at gandermtn...it was all I could afford.

I will keep you up to date in my new trials and tribulations and hopefully before the summer is up and I have to go to Grad school...that I may join all you and catch that first musky!!!

Thank you all for your wisdom, I cannot tell you how much it has helped!!!

Nice to hear you have contracted the virus. Warning: There is no turning back after that first fish ........Glad you enjoy the site as well.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Red Childress; 05-30-2009 at 03:05 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

hey adam
    i fish around that area at time.

shoot me an email

gt.ivan@comcast.net

i'd be glad to shoot the breeze with ya and maybe hookup sometime this summer and flog the water on our beautiful stretch of the river!

Geo

Adam,

Welcome to Musky Madness!!! This sport can be frustrating and fantastic at the same time. How you ask?? For instance, I had a 40+ follow my Bulldawg to the boat over the weekend. Saw her about 20' out and she was gaining ground on the bait. I go into my figure-8 with the first turn executed "perfectly" and it looks like shes ready to eat. However, as I go into my 2nd turn, I didn't realize that I had my rod so deep into the water. As I tried to complete the turn, the real handle caught on the lip of the boat and pretty much slowed the bait to a crawl and I about hit her in the face with it. LOL She just kind of turned toward me as if to say "nice move idiot, you almost had me"!! LOL She slowly made her way back into the depths and would not respond to anymore 8's or a throwback bait.

Ok, so the frustration part is easy to see there and you might ask where the fantastic comes into play. Well, the great part was having such a beautiful fish spend a few seconds at the side of my boat even though it wasn't even in my net. That happened about 3/4 of the way through a tough day of fishing. That follow made my day and I look forward to many more of those.

I also agree with you about the website. I am still a newbie myself and I can't even count the times everyone on here has helped me. Great stuff. Oh yeah, I highly suggest you heed Red's warning. This fish has taken over my life and I know that some of my friends and co-workers are getting sick of me talking about Musky all of the time. The way I see it, they are just going to have to deal with it!!

Again, welcome to the world of Musky and can wait to hear about that first one!!

Jay

Your credit card balance will never be the same!
    I'm sorry, WELCOME ABOARD!!!