www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 5/29 Fishing Report

Default 5/29 Fishing Report

Lake Mendota water temperatures are approaching the low 60's. The bass have begun to move onto bedding areas. Look for fish in 5' to 8' of water on any of the flats with scattered rock. Crappies have been active in 7' to 10' of water. Try drifting with minnows 4' to 6' down. Blue gills should begin to show in the shallow areas, but there has been little activity reported as of now.

Lake Monona blue gills have started to invade the shallows in pre-spawn fashion. Look for fish from the shoreline to 5' of water in several areas on the lake. Try Slueter Beach, Wyldehaven, Turville Point to Olin Park, west of Olin Park towards John Nolan Drive and on the North Shore by Yahara Park. Look for large mouth bass to begin to spawn in many of these areas.

Lake Wabuesa musky action has been increasing, with many fish following baits to the boat. The bite has started to improve recently. Crappies are still active on the outside weed edges. Bluegills have started to invade the shallows. Look for fish in 0' to 4' of water. Areas with scattered gravel are preferred.
    D & S Bait & Tackle
    Gene Dellinger

Web Site: http://www.dsbait.com

Default Monona Bluegills

Fished Monona on May 30th. Saw quite a few beds in the shallows of Turville Bay, but not lots of bluegills yet. More dinky ones than anything else. Caught some bluegills will very big bellies, and put them back. I assume that this all means we are still in the pre-spawning time?

All the gills I have caught so far this year seem to have a strange color, kind of a washed out, greyish look. They didn't look like ones I would want to eat but not sure why they were like that.