www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Update 5/28 w/ Bass opener

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

Default Update 5/28 w/ Bass opener

Last weekend was Memorial Weekend and also the bass opener in MN, finally. On Saturday (5/23) I went to River X and flyfished for smallies and semi-guided my stepson, Kyler. The lack of rain has really affected water levels in many parts of the state. I've never seen that particular river so low this early in the season. The fishing was great and my left thumb was a bit scuffed up from lipping so many bass - a satisfying condition for the bass angler. The bass only wanted poppers. I fished a Woolly Bugger or Clouser Minnow for quite awhile but wasn't getting much action. It's always nice when they're in the mood for poppers. It was cold in the morning but sunny and warm with low humidity later in the day. Kyler's getting pretty handy with the flyrod and caught a lot of bass, many on his own. The Great day.

Sunday I went to the cabin on Mille Lacs and fished Walleye. I jumped in the boat with my friend and fellow musky guide, Josh. It was nice to have someone take me fishing for a change and Josh is a damn good fisherman. We caught a bunch of walleyes dragging Lindy Rigs on deep gravel spots. The fishing was seemed slow overall, judging from the lack of action in other boats, but we caught a bunch and sorted through enough for some keepers. It was nice to bring home fish to eat for a change, a special treat for a 100% catch-and-release musky guy. Sunday night I was slip-bobber fishing the rocks on the south end with family but we only caught a couple small ones, which basically amounts to getting skunked.

Monday I hit the Mississippi for a few hours and caught a few, but I really only had time to run around and check spots. The river is getting low; we need rain.

I did solo trip for to River X for smallies again on Wed (5/27) but didn't do quite as well as on the bass opener. I did get to spend some time on a new stretch and that was fun.

I'll post a few photos when I get a chance.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com

Hey Paul,
    I finally made it down to Park Rapids for Memorial Day Opener. We started
    out Saturday morning and I'll say it was COLD!!!!!!! We still cought some fish including a couple of Smallies and Largies. I was in my cousins boat and I was
    throwing a tube and low and behold a 40 inch Pike smacked it. It was quite a
    fight especially with 8 pound mono. That was my highlight for the weekend
    and it's my personal best Pike. Now bring on the Muskies it looks like I'll be
    on Mantrap to start and may do a little lake hopping depends on the fishing.

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

It looks like I'll be in the Park Rapids and Bemidji area for the musky opener too.

Here's some photos from bass opener. Most photos are a part of Kyler's smallie catch. The last is a pic of me releasing a smallie - I got to fish a bit too. All were caught flyfishing with poppers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5230033-1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	5037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5230036-1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	5038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5230038-1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	5039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5230041-1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	5040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5230045-1.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	5041  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5230050-1.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	5042  
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com