www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: how to get rid of new lure paint smell

Default how to get rid of new lure paint smell

over the last few weeks I got in a few lures that Really smell like Paint. Brand new lures. They are the 14" jakes mostly. My Wileys don't smell like that legends and etc. etc. What is the best way to get rid of that smell?? One guy told me, Keep a bucket of chopped fish in the boat and rub it on your lure before you throw it out. ??? Is he serious? Next week is my big trip to the alleg. res. any info will be great. learning alot on here.

I dont know what to do to get the smell off except run the hell out of the lures. I already picked up my Wileys at Dales shop that smelled up the truck and boat on the way fishing and caught fish on them the same day. I had this happen 3 or 4 times. Maybe they get a contact buzz and get hungry. The way this season is going I might have to spray a few lures with sealer before I put them out!! Good luck this weekend.

I will run the hell out of them next week. Am going to write a new post on here about something else also. thanks for the input.

Thumbs up Wd-40

Spence Petros once told me he sprays down his entire collection of lures with WD-40 at the end of the season to prevent corrosion. I asked how he gets rid of the smell the following year. He said the fish don't seem to mind the WD-40 at all.

Also, while fishing the Kawarthas many years back, my first musky of the trip smashed a big homemade pikie. While we were taking photos, the fish took a dump on carpet of my new boat. Just being a smart a$$, I smeared the goo all over the lure. Got 14 muskies on that lure over the course of the next 3 days! My boat partner got 5. Somebody oughta bottle that stuff!

Speaking of WD-40, during the best year of musky fishing in my boat so far ('04-'05), we were using WD-40 to keep eye guides/line from freezing plus soaking the spools with the stuff after every 30 minutes of fishing. The odor was everywhere including on our lures/hands and that certainly did not adversely affect the fishing.

Since my guide wrappings started to deteriorate with the abuse of WD-40, I have since switched to "Reel Majic" and that stuff is not so rough on the rods.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Default Ditto on the WD-40

I know a bunch of guys who swear by the WD-40 on their crawler harnesses and plugs for walleye fishing in Lake Erie. Heard the same from some guys who use it on their steelie baits.

JB...my two younger brothers both have newborn baby girls. If interested I can send you a steady supply of "stuff" to smear on your lures...very appropriate for use with a dog turd pattern.

Default wd-40

As for the WD-40 They outlawed it here in catfish ponds because the people using it were catching to many fish. if they catch you with it your ban forever ....

The heck with the catfish, you and Greg need to give those New River muskies a break down there for a while. Tearin' them up!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I think the count now is at 55 since feb. not bad for southern river boys

You 'Southern boys' fish hard and fish smart....with numbers like that, I might book a trip with you'uns someday.

When is Greg's BBall camp finished?? I might head back home sometime this summer and would love to hook up with you guys.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

He should be finished around the 25 of june. Would love for you to get a day or 2 to go with us...

We are meeting Dad in Pittsburgh during the middle of August for a Pirates game/Zoo/kid stuff so I do not know if I will have the time to also drive to VA this summer.

Let me know if you need anymore info on the Susquehanna.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress