www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Memorial Week-End Report

Default Memorial Week-End Report

We are still on the fish but they seem to be in a transition period moving to their summer haunts. The fish are scattered at this time and have moved a bit deeper. The fish move to the shallows in the evening and we are catching fish trolling shad raps, experiment with colors. Shiners are still talking fish but other minnow types are also good. The shiners are leaving the shallows and so are the walleyes. Experiment when jigging, some days the fish want an aggressive jigging motion and other days just dragging the jig will take more fish. When this happens switch to a live bait rig for move hook ups.

Trolling spinners tipped with crawlers on bottom bouncers is a good presentation to cover water and find active fish. Also try gulp crawlers as an alternative bait.

Next week end is the reinstated Walleye Tournament on Leech. It will be interesting to see how the anglers find the winning fish and what presentations are putting fish in the boat.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Default Next week

Murph are we looking then to Hardwoods, Star and the Meadows as where the eyes are moving. Pine and Duck should still work I am sure as well. Let me know we will be up Friday afternoon and on the water Saturday early AM. Thanks and good fishing! Hard to believe this is our 20th year coming up - Now a group of 14! My home away from home!

Dave

We're leaving Sat. the 30th. Spending a week at Brindley's. WIll the 'eyes still be shallow? Still jig and a minnow? Or, should we try deeper water and Lindy rigs?

Last time I was at Leech, about 4-5 years ago, we had a hard time finding walleyes...but found some decent perch in Agency Bay. Hopefully, the 'eyes are biting, but if not, can we still find perch around? Close to Brindleys?

Default Walleyes

The areas you mentioned the Hardwoods, Mounds, Meadows, Ducks, Oak, Pine, Ottertail and Stony are all holding fish depending on the wind. Jigs and minnows and live bait rigs are both good presentations. We are catching some nice perch that are co-mingled with the walleyes also some nice pike. All are following the bait when it enters the shallows.

You can also catch some fish trolling cranks during the day but especially during low light hours. Bottom bouncers and spinner harnesses should be considered to cover water, especially when fish are not in the shallows.

A reminder when fishing shallow walleyes, excessive boat traffic will move the fish or shut them down. It is not a good idea to blast your boat back up wind to make a new drift. Better to circle around the pack.
    Jim Murphy

we just got back from 4 days on Leech. The first 2 days were quite good, we limited on Pine the first day, trolling shad raps in the eveing, and jig and a shiner (before 100 boats sat on it the rest of the weekend), the second day was not quite as good, but we got into some nice ones in the evening on Goose, I caught a 27 1/2 and my buddy caught a 24 and a 25 along with a few keepers under the slot.

Day 3 was miserable, not sure the last time I saw that many boats on Leech, plus it was warm, sunny and no wind. We filled up with beer and went back to Walker Bay to cast for Laregemouth Bass and Pike (picked up a few)

Day 4 was also rough with the weather (sunny warm, no wind), so we decided to get all set up for an eveing/night grind as it was our last night. We stopped by the usual spots, Hardwood, Goose, snake pit flats, before heading to Otter around twilight. We hammered them on Otter. There were 10-12 boats fishing the point, so we trolled cranks down the south edge around 8 pm and caught about 8-10 eyes, four being keepers. We were still boating some small fish when darkness fell and most of the boats left. We started jigging and got into some nice fish right on the point. We caught 4 in the slot over 20" and 3 more keepsers along with a few small ones.

Whatever you do, KEEP MOVING if you are not on fish. They are there. Goose and Otter produced some great fishing this year. I have a bag full of Walleye

Thanks Murph have a great day and see you on the water next week - good luck in the tournament if you are fishing it.

We will be up there on Saturday too as well on Brindleys. We know it will be packed Saturday and Sunday on the water so do you know of any low key spots maybe Murph?

Default Spots

Try fishing in Agency Bay. There usually isn't much traffic and a lot of fish. Try the various humps throughout the bay. Fish the bottom of the humps where they break into the basin if the fish are not on top.
    Jim Murphy

anyone catching big pike on leech?