Well, the opener finally arrived...and what a slowwwww opener it was. I didn't expect to move too many fish with all the unstable weather/wind coming into the weekend; but I expected better results than what we got.
My fishing partner and I planned on fishing the WMT event on LVD yesterday and we'd never been on the lake before so we planned to prefish it for three and a half days during the week. Well, we really liked the lake; but we did not have much action at all. On Thursday, I caught a 35.5" musky on a small bucktail. Other than that, we had two follows about that size between three days and about 20 pike. After that, we decided it would be best to save the money for another upcoming tournament.

For the northern WI opener, we headed to the Three Lakes Chain (another new lake for us) where I had a small follow and besides that, we only caught one small pike.Today (Sunday), we fished another lake which we've never fished before. Brought the crappie poles today in case it was as dead as the past week. Saw one decent mid-30's cruising the shallows that didn't want anything to do with a bait; and then had one in the upper-30o's right around our boat for a good 15 minutes and then saw it swimming with a crappie sideways in it's mouth. Followed it around from a distance to watch it. From the initial "catch" to swallow, it was a good 20-30 minutes. Very interesting to see. I caught some of it on film, but I'm not able to upload it to the web yet. Should make for some interesting footage.

We tried super shallow, shallow weeds, mid-weeds, deep weedlines, islands, breaks, points....everything we could think of with baits of all different sizes and types....just no luck

How about everyone else??? Did the opener treat you guys better than us? On Friday, there were lots of boats pre-fishing for the WMT, but we didn't see one fish caught at all throught the morning/day. If anyone knows the results or # of fish caught, please post it. We're very curious to find out.
Thanks Jason for the smallie footage. Going out on the river is overlooked by all of us and should be a top choice for any type of fishing. Also, thanks for all the help/advice Jason. The camera, lens, etc. are all in Medford waiting for me to pick up.

Good luck to everyone, Jake Bucki