www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Cow girl bait

Default Cow girl bait

Has anyone used the cow girl baits on the woods? If so when ,where, and what color and size. Did you have good success and what was your biggest fish? Thanks Brad

Great bait for the Woods as you get later into the season. Double Cow Girls are my favorites in the #10 blade, and this year I will try the new #13 blades. Color depends on the water clarity, and daylight conditions. Best fish last year was a 49. One word of advice, eat your Wheaties if you plan to throw these all day. They will wear you down. Make sure you have a durable reel such as a Calcutta TE, or Garcia 7000 and a rod that can take the load (8 ft works real nice).

I would echo what Ed said about the equipment side of things. If you throw them all day, it is a lot of wear and tear on the fisherman and his equipment. That being said, DCGs definitely work on LOTW. I think color is often times a personal/confidence thing more than a fish thing. But, that being said, I do have some favorites. Silver blades or orange blades with a black, or rainbow/black skirt is hard to beat (pretty much any time). There are a lot of guys in the NW Angle of LOTW that are big on copper blades with a bright red tail. I plan on putting some time in with that combo this year (probably during overcast or rainy conditions). I also like a bright color combo such as silver or chartreuse blades with a white or pearl skirt (bright sunny conditions). If you are looking for a less expensive, but quality double bladed bucktail, you might want to get in touch with Gerry Carroll in Pewaukee, WI. He makes what he calls a Gerry's Girl, which is double #10 bladed bucktail with holographic flashabou tails. I bought a bunch from him this spring, and they are excellent quality. If you want his contact info, shoot me a message.