www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Getting a Few

Default Getting a Few

Picking up a fish here, a fish there so far this season, haven't found a hot bite yet in two partial day trips. Mostly trolling cranks in the upper bay, primarily deeper water, but if I make it out in the morning sometime, I'll try shallower. Caught fish from 12' to 25' down, anywhere from the east bank to third reef, Husky Jerks, Reef Runners, Bombers, with the HJ's (Purple Perch) probably best. Pretty vague report, I know, but I just keep moving, haven't seen any real pattern. Not marking any good bait schools. If you can find concentrations of bait, fish that level or higher. 1.5-1.6 is my target speed.

Default leadcore, snapweights or other?

Frank- Thanks for the report, good info. How are you getting your stick baits down to the desired depth; leadcore, snap weights or just using big lip models with thin braid?

I am hoping to figure out an effective alternative to lead core as I personally despise the stuff and want to try snap weights or using deep diving models more this season if they are effective alternatives to leadcore. Any insight would appreciated.

thanks,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Benzie Rover View Post
    Frank- Thanks for the report, good info. How are you getting your stick baits down to the desired depth; leadcore, snap weights or just using big lip models with thin braid?

I am hoping to figure out an effective alternative to lead core as I personally despise the stuff and want to try snap weights or using deep diving models more this season if they are effective alternatives to leadcore. Any insight would appreciated.

thanks,

Matt
    use the 800 series reef runners and the hj 12 husky jerks and get your self a book with all the dive curves so you know how many feet to set back to get the depth you want

Default whick books?

What are the best books or charts for this dive data and where can you get them?

The name of the trolling bible is Precision Trolling. Here is a link: http://www.precisionangling.com/
    I would think most of the baitshops in the area have them for sale.

PS: I very rarely drag leadcore for walleye anymore since I can hit 30 feet with 800 reef runners and go even deeper in conjuction w/ snap wts.

Capt. Jim McDonald

Default Getting to Depth

On the Husky Jerks, (the deep diver, DHJ 12) try anywhere from 80-125' back of the boards,puts you about 14-18' deep. I like a 2 color lead core set-up with a 50' leader, don't have any trouble with it, usually run at least one rod this way. Can get shallow sticks like Bombers, Rogues, etc. down to the bite range without snapweights. I like using the deeper divers if I can get bites, but sometimes the more subtle action baits just work better for me, especially during the day and when the bite is slow. Deep Little Rippers have worked better for me than the big ones so far, haven't had a bite on the big RR yet, but have had one in the water almost the whole time. They will get going soon, I'm sure. Blueberry Muffin, and the FinAddict Special have been the best for me the last few seasons on the RR's, although the Purple Demon Deep Little Ripper works well also. I like to vary my speed, give it a burst once in a while.

The most up-to-date version of Precision Trolling goes for $49.95. A little pricey, but well worth the money. You'll use it every time you break out the boards to troll.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Went out fri morn,cold, sat night,WINDY,sun night,nice.Fri got 3 off the ford on raps,15,21,27 when the sun was comming up after trying big bay till 3 in the morn.Sat was taking waves over the side of my boat on center reef,also had a takle box full of reef runners BLOWN out of the boat.Took all the lines in and went back,think I recovered most.Decided to go to a little safer water in the narrows and caght one 30'' 10# on 800ser. DD RR 100ft bk over 30-26'.Sun went off the ford with a couple buds and went 2 for 4 or 5[16,21] on walleye choice harnesses and 1oz bouncers in 10-5ft.Crazy weather and it looks like more of the same on the way.The fish are there,the best times seem to be sun up and sun down[big suprise].On sat I also caught a 5in perch on a 4.3/4in DD Reef runner bubble gum.Now thats spirit!GOOD LUCK fellas.
    KEEP THE SLOT ON BAY DE NOC

Default thank, good info

thanks guys... great info

much appreciated.