www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: The numbers

1. Default The numbers

In nearly 15 years as a charter captain I've never compared the number, because we feel the experience is about so much more, we have outstanind captain and mates with top-of-the-line gear, and deep cold water close to fantastic structure (The Bank Reef).... but every year editors choose to twist the data to make it look like the charters that have run the most trips catch the most fish..... Well Sturgeon Bay ranks as the best fishing port north of Milwaukee, While Algoma often touted as the best port rated 8th.... I've spent a lot of time compliling this data using the DNR records.... I hope it helps paint a clearer picture for everyone... I attribute these numbers to captain willing to run off shore and burn fuel to catch fish... Now lets get back to enjoying the fishing... Last year the 5th best season in record keeping history.... despite almost 10% less effort from gasoline over $4/gallon... Tight Lines Capt Scott

PORT Fish/trip Fish/hour
    1 Kenosha 10.9 2.4
    2 Sturgeon Bay 9.7 2.2
    3 Milwaukee 9.4 2.2
    4 Baileys Harbor 8.7 2
    5 Port 8.3 1.8
    6 Racine 7.8 1.8
    7 Manitowoc 8.6 1.7
    8 Algoma 8.9 1.6
    9 Two Rivers 7.7 1.5
    10 Whintrop Harbor 7.6 1.5
    11 Sheboygan 6.7 1.5
    12 Kewaunee 8.2 1.4
    13 Rouleys Bay 5.2 1.4
    14Gills Rock 3.8 0.8
    15 Menomonee 3 0.6
    16Marinette 2.2 0.43
    17Washington Island 1.5 0.3
    Last edited by Captain Scott Gutschow; 05-16-2009 at 09:47 AM.
    Reel Action Charters
    Captain Scott Gutschow

Web Site: http://www.reelactioncharters.com/index.shtml

Looks like pretty good fishing all over, with all the top ports within a fish or two of each other. Splitting hairs. You're right, let's get on to fishing!

One correction: Effort last year was down more than 20 percent for the largest group of trollers, the privates, who catch two to three times as many fish most years due to their sheer numbers. However, charters typically land far more fish per hour due to the fishing expertise, size of boat (more downriggers and/or ability to run a wider presentation), number of lines, etc.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen inexperienced trollers with empty or "small" coolers on days when most others are really pounding the fish. I always tell newcomers that it's money well spent to get together with some buddies and book a charter just to learn some tips and techniques. Hopefully you hit a day with hungry, abundant fish, but even if not, there is still much to be learned that will make your own trips in the future much more productive.

3. Default

No correction necessary....The 10% number parallels the charter boat data I provided in this report... I used the data set that is the most accurate information available. Charter boat data includeds hours fished, number of lines fished, number of fish caught, species, etc....
    Reel Action Charters
    Captain Scott Gutschow

Web Site: http://www.reelactioncharters.com/index.shtml