Scott, I simply gave the numbers of fish and trips run, and stated that some ports attract more anglers than others for a variety of reasons and thus the numbers are higher. Also, DNR creels by county and Algoma and Kewaunee have the luxury of two ports in one county (as does Manitowoc/Two Rivers, and multiple Door County ports, though a lot less fishing pressure than the one-port counties south of Manitowoc).

Again, though, misleading folks to think that Algoma charters spend the bulk of their summer on the Bank, when it's probably less than 10 percent of the pack spending less than 5 percent of their time up there, is foolish. Algoma has four current state record fish and can stand alone on its high-quality fishery. Sturgeon Bay has the structure, the Bank Reef, which makes it a unique destination best fished with a charter (or a top-notch mapping unit so you don't lose gear!). Both ports offer awesome angling. The top weight ever in the Algoma Challenge was taken on a small "tin" boat less than three miles south of Algoma, though you're right, several years the winning team motored up to Sturgeon Bay (twice in a 50+ foot charter boat, the awesome "Hour Time" of which you were a team member).

I know many charter captains were royally ticked when it was reported that the salmon catch was down 40 percent in '08 (off the all-time record of '07), but it was still good fishing when compared historically and anyone who fishes knows we had an odd year of wild water temperature swings, winds and $4 gallon gas keeping many folks home. The economy is not in better shape this year, but I think we'll continue to draw plenty of anglers to Door and Kewaunee counties. History as shown that in economic downturns, people continue to fish, and maybe even fish more (more licenses sold). We'll see. It's good to see some fish already being caught. Should really start popping in the coming week. Best of luck to you and your crew in '09.