www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Is it Fly time?!?!!?

Default Is it Fly time?!?!!?

I am banking on it to be decent conditions for the Flyrod this weekend, at least tomorrow. I hope the fish are in the post-spawn feed mode and are lookin for anything and everything to devour.

Just got done re-tooling the surface flyrod with 15# TyGer wire. This is the easiest tying "wire" that I have dealt with so far. I even used a blood knot to attach it to the mono!! This stuff is like working with braided line. The true test will be whether it sinks my surface bait AND if it holds up to some toothy fish. Hopefully, I'll know both within about 24hrs!!!

Good luck to everyone this weekend!!! Lets get this S@#T ROCKIN!!!

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!!

Well, I used the FLyrod for the first couple of hours with no sign of toothy fish. So far, I love the Tyger wire. The new poppers that I am trying float high and make a TON of commotion. I can certainly see these attracting some big fish.

Since I wasn't finding fish with the Flyrod, I switched to throwing Manta's and tried a new pattern. I found out that not only do the Pike love these things, the largemouth don't mind them either. LOL The cool thing was that the Pike that I landed was on a boatside maneuver. That was my first and was VERY cool. The fish slowed a bit as it got to the front of the boat and I thought it was done. However, as soon as the bait sped up into the first turn, it slammed it!! SOO COOOL!!

I'm having trouble consistently finding the Musky so far this Spring. What I thought was turning into a "milk run" is turning out to be a "milk dud". LOL One of the problems was that I had more boats cut off my path that I was clearly working toward and/or just pulling up right next to me. I was getting MAJORLY PISSED. I had more of these kinds of run-ins yesterday than I did all of last season combined!!

One boat was stopped well away from a shoreline break that I was trolling along. As i started going in their direction and well away from them, they decided to move toward the shoreline directly in front of me. There was no doubt as to my line that I was travelling. I ended up dropping a couple of F-bombs and continued right at them. LOL As they started headin back out, they kept their heads turned like I wasn't even there. I normally can put up with a lot of this crap, but since this was about the 6th episode of the day, I was tired of it. And don't even get me started about the old men in the pontoon boats!!! LOL

I think that was the last vacation day I'll use when the weather called for is blue skies and sun. I'll wait for the call for rain to decrease the amount of people on the waters.

OK, enough of my rant, I hope everyone else has some better luck with the Musky this weekend.