www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: trolling setup

Default trolling setup

I was wondering what is the best set up for trolling in the wind. I have a 17.5 ft sea nymth with a 70 hp johnson. I also have a 3 hp yamaha kicker I troll with, I tie it to the main for steering but cant keep it straight in the wind. I thought of a speed control on the kicker but they dont give em away, but if thats what it'll take I may have to invest in one.The main at an idle is still way to fast 4.5 mph so I want to rig up something else. Do the troll plates work well for this or would a front mount trolling motor be better?

Thanks

Trolling bags might help you out...

I also like bags. I have a 305chev in my 21ft wellcraft and with the motor running at 800rpms it still wont troll down below 3.2-3.5, till I put out 1 bag then at the same rpms I can get it down to 1.5-2.2.

Default bags

Thanks for the info, I hadnt even thought of that but I'll surely give them a try.

I run trolling bags on my boat all the time. Not only do they slow you down, but they also have a stabilizing effect in large waves. The best trolling bags I have found are Beefy Bags from Amish Outfitters. I would think a couple of 22" diameter bags run off each side would work great for your size boat.

Capt. Jim McDonald

You wouldn't regret buying a trollmaster. Once you have one, you'd wonder how you ever trolled w/o one. Not sure if they make one for a 3hp though. You'd have to check their website.

Wink I have a 16.5' Sea Nymph...

with a 70hp Evinrude. I changed props to get trolling speed down, you could get a prop with less pitch. You'll get a better hole shot, but may loose a couple of MPH at the top end. I only lost 4 mph on mine. I can troll with the big motor down to 2.2 or less. Also a cheap way to create drag is to use 5 gallon buckets. Also, if you have power trim and tilt you can control speed by changing the angle of the motor.

If you have a front live/baitwell,fill it w/water to hold down the bow.More weight up front the better.It will cut into the waves better.Auto pilot trolling motor on the bow would help the most.Try putting the big motor in fwd or rev instead of neu,May help dial in a more consistant speed.
    KEEP THE SLOT ON BAY DE NOC

Quote Originally Posted by springfield View Post
    I was wondering what is the best set up for trolling in the wind.

Thanks
    Do you mean,trolling into the wind?
    KEEP THE SLOT ON BAY DE NOC

Default trolling when its windy

No, not just into the wind but when its windy in general. With the 3 hp, down wind is fine but any cross wind or into the wind I have to stand back there and adjust the speed. My Boat is only 17.5' but is very wide (86") & sits up high so the wind can catch it, its great for comfort & fishing but needs a little work for trolling. When running my down riggers I can get it slowed down enough to use the 70. I like all the Ideas, I'm gonna try the trolliing bags first and maybe fill the front livewell. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I caught 4 on friday but all to small.

Default rigging trolling bags

OK this thread is interesting to me and I could use some advice.
    I have a 21' Sylvan Offshore with a cuddy cabin that I would like to possibly put trolling bags to work on. When you troll with one bag how do you fasten it and how do you deal with fish? When using two bags on this boat, what size should I get? Where is it best to have them fastened and where in relation to the cuddy cabin would be best to have the bags run? What about picking them up? Is there a good method to make that happen without having to go in front of the cuddy cabin?
    Lots of questions here but I bet someone has a head full of answers that can match up with these questions.
    Thanks,
    Lloyd

You'll want to run a bag on each side, otherwise steering will be tough. You'll want them running approx midship. Mine run maybe just aft of midship. Every hull is different, though. On my boat, running the bags takes me from approx 3mph to 1.5mph with no wind/waves and 28" amish outfitters bags. I also have a pair of 22s that run about 1.7 ish. I have a center console so picking them up is no problem. You're going to need to fasten them up front either before shoving off or if you can access the bow while underway. Depending on where you have cletes on your boat will dictate. A midship clete might be more convenient for you. I've run them off of both bow and midship cleat on mine, I settled on bow. My boat is 21' glass, approx 3500#. If you call amish outfitters he'll steer you close on size. If I had to do it again, I'd have gotten 28s and 33s or whatever the next size is, you can always bump up your rpm a little but if you're still too fast, no good. Make sure whatever kinds you buy they have a dump loop so pulling them up is easier. When deploying them, boat in neutral, then in gear when both are in water, when pulling them, boat in neutral also makes it easier.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

Thanks!
    That is exactly the kind of detailed info that will help me.
    Lloyd

Default just right

Well I got a couple bags (24") and they are the ticket! I went from 3.5 mph to 1.7. Thanks for the help!

Default ordered Beefy Bags

Ordered 28" Beefy bags today after talking with the folks at Amish outfitters and being led there by the great folks on this site. They were shipped out today!
    Thanks,
    Lloyd

To deploy the bags I just throw them over the side and lift the back line which fills it from the front. To retrieve just pull up on the back line and the bag will empty....very simple and I always perform this with the boat in gear.

Another tip is to use a chafe guard on your front towing line so that it doesn't get chewed up from your rubrail. I use a 5/8 braided line inside of 3/4 tygon tubing.

Capt. Jim McDonald

Default details?

Hey Capt. Jim,
    Is it 5/ braided nylon? Poly? Where do I get Tygon tube?
    Thanks,
    Lloyd

I use nylon but poly would probably work. You can get tygon tubing at any hardware store...it is clear tubing similiar to that used for a fish tank bubbler.

Capt. Jim McDonald

tygon tubing

Also works real good for salmon fly storage when cut into 3" lengths..

Slice each end .. tuck the fly in and wrap the leader around the outside of the tube into the slices you put in it. oh... a little longer for moonshine spinner flies.
    OK... 10 More Minutes

Default Great advice

What a great bunch of advice. Thanks guys!
    Lloyd