www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Opener "09"

Default Opener "09"

I was skeptical when I woke up Saturday morning to a big time cold front. It was cold and windy. My 10 year old Grandson and I brought in 2 limits. We also caught several fish in the slot. Fish were all caught on jigs and shiners in 8 to 9 feet of water. There was a good walleye chop and drifting was the way to cover water.

Made 2 drifts on Pine and caught 1 nice fish, however the boat traffic was bad and made fishing dodge em boats not fun or relaxing in my book. Fish seemed to be on all of the popular points and shorelines.

Sunday morning was different with no wind most of the day. We went out in the evening and lite them up. Several large fish that were a ball catching. We also caught several eaters. All in all a very good opener. Leech is back baby.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

That is great to hear. I checked the weather forecast for Walker, looks pretty good over the next 6-10 days. We are heading up in 10 days, can't hardly wait.

Thanks for the update. What presentation/method did you use for the evening fishing?

Thanks!

Default Jig and a shiner

We have used perch pattern jig colors with a shiner minnow. I have heard of some success with fatheads. Fatheads are a good option when the fish are biting lite and won't eat the larger shiners. This presentation will be good for several weeks.
    Jim Murphy

Murph, have you been out much over the past week?

Another question I have for you, I know it is always best to use the lightest jig possible, what do you use most often, 3/8, do you ever get away with 1/4, and how often do you fish 1/2?

Thanks!

Something I have used to allow the use of 1/8 oz jig when much heavier would be normal is to “pitch” the jig into the drift.

This requires careful attention to line pick up and “working” the jig. If the wind is too strong and the drift sock can’t control the drift, then it’s time to re-tie.

Murph can most likely suggest other options.
    Grady

Default Jigs

I always try to use the lightest jig I can to just maintain bottom content. With the strong winds we had on some days this week I had to switch jigs often to find the best presentation. I rarely use a 1/2 oz. but if you must you have to change. The main reason for using a light jig is that some weedy bottom content will hang up the jig. I also use a stand up jig if there are some weeds in the area I am fishing.

We have had good success with the new Vegas Northland jig this week.
    Jim Murphy