www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Walleye chasing Musky Baits

Question Walleye chasing Musky Baits

Myself and a couiple other guys have raised/caught some giant walleye this Spring on musky-sized baits......I had another 10-12 pound fish slashing all over my glide bait yesterday, Brian G. had an absolute monster follow his 14 inch swimbait a couple of weeks ago and Toothyfishman recently caught a 28 incher on a musky-sized bait.

Is anyone else raising/catching big walleye on musky baits this Spring??
    Last edited by Red Childress; 05-10-2009 at 06:24 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I had a 30-32" musky follow my suick in a few weeks ago then another fish which I could not identify that was the same size. The musky was of course sandy colored and the other was dark and or black and I knew it was not a 'ski but did not put 2+2 together until the next day when talking to my dad. It was a walleye that was right around the 30" mark....... needless to say, yesterday on my trip to gander, I upped my rapala size up to the next size up.

Good luck!

Jacob

Can't say for this spring but last fall i nabbed a few nice walleyes on hellhounds right at the boat when i would let it flutter. It was neat to see to say the least!! Also caught 2 smaller walleye on blind figure 8s on j 13s. They were both sub legal fish..

I caught a 29"x15" walleye last weekend on a Crane bait out of shallow weeds.

A few years back I read an article by Spence Petros (I think) talking about flooded rivers and throwing big rubber for walleye. He said "when rivers are on the rise, dig out some big rubber and hit your favorite structure (wood/rocks) for walleye."

After seeing the size of these following/slashing walleye chasing 10+ inch rubber and jerkbaits, I am a becoming a believer. I still cannot believe the size of the walleye that bit the tail of my 11-inch Curly Sue (boatside) back in the Fall.....and yes, the water was on the rise.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

We raised more walleye than muskies this weekend with most of them following soft-tailed Phantoms or Savage Gear Freestylers. I bet we had 6-7 nice walleye and 2 (8-10 pounders) come to the boat over the weekend.

I bet a 6-inch manta/phantom would be a great late-Spring walleye bait, if the fish were active and up chasing.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

oddly enough.... I was planning on hitting the water today with my phantoms (softtail) up at the spot where I had one follow in my suick. I decided last night to throw in my walleye rod and some lures aswell "just incase". Here's to hopeing! Now I really can't wait for work to be done!

Jacob

The water is high and the Big walleye seem to get on the larger baits under these contitions.......IMO, it probably has something to do with the larger baits being noticed much easier when the water noise is drowning out the sounds produced by smaller presentations.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I took a guy and his 6 yr. old son out on Sat. for some Trout fishing. The little guy ended up putting a real fat 25 inch Walleye in the net! The smile on his face was priceless! Thats what its all about!

Brian

Up here in buffalo, Walleye will hit 8-10 inch Red October tubes. My buddy and I caught several between 8-10 lbs last summer while fishing musky using these monster tubes. They seem to come in with out much of a fight using musky tackle with 80lb test power pro, LOL.

Kaz~

HaHa good one! Im still looking for the walleye that Does put up a fight!