www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Depthfinder/GPS Suggestion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Depthfinder/GPS Suggestion

Looks like I'll be purchasing my first boat and wanted to know what kind of Depthfinder/GPS everyone would suggest. Looking stay around/under $1k...sorry no big screen TV's!

Right now I am at a loss what to buy. The technology and models are changing so fast, I cannot keep up with them. I was really thinking that Humminbird was the way to go. But since I learned they do not support Lakemaster software, that's a game changer.

I imagine that since so many models are new this year, you may have to give people a chance to gain some experience with them. I know Mr. Johnson just went to a HD-5, so he may be the first to comment.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

After recent Lowrance releases I'd be a bit wary of buying any of their new models. They seem to like testing the software on the customers rather than doing it before marketing them. Hopefully they've got this HDS lot right, but I'd be tempted to get one of last years models which has had the wrinkles sorted out on it.

If you can live with the Navonics only, the humminbird models are pretty reliable. I wish Hb would support lakemaster, so I could put my Dr Depth software straight onto the unit, as we don't have any mapping over here.

You would have to verify this, but I think Doug said the new HD-5 currently does not support Navionics, but should be corrected with the next software release.

Not to say Lowrance is the brightest bulb, but they manufacture the digital gages for Bombardier. Guess what. They don't operate in the cold. At 32 degrees, it takes approximately 20 minutes for the gages to warm up sufficiently to display. Guess who's smarter? I paid for them!

Another piece of logic for Tim's suggestion is price. The non-current models are light-years cheaper. Especially with the closeouts.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

I was looking at the Humminbird 917c anyone have any experience with this unit?

any idea where are they closing out last years lowrances?

Default Lowrance HDS-5

I'll know more next week after a few days in Whitefish Bay. Been playing around a little with the unit with the boat sitting in the garage. At first I thought a degree in computer engineering would be of great help, but after an hour or two of fooling around and actually reading the directions it seem like there may be some pretty neat things you can do with the unit.

Just picked up a LakeMaster chip for the LOTWs and installed that, and it looks fine. Doesn't go past Big Narrows except for the main chanel, and nothing north and east of the French Portage. Looks like it covers all of Whitefish Bay, but nothing north of there. Looks like everything in the Sabaskong area as well as Buffalo Bay and Minnesota waters are there. All ready spotted a missing reef though, and I know where it is as I hit it about 10 years ago.

Doug Johnson