www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Treble Conversion

Default Treble Conversion

Ok, this may seem like a crazy question, but have you guys ever heard or seen anyone that replaced trebles with single hooks. Would doing something like that throw the balance of the baits out of whack? Obviously this would decrease the chance of hook-ups. However, I am looking for ways to do less stress to the fish and myself ( in case I catch a stray shot from my brother). LOL

Twice now in the last couple of weeks, I had Pike with mouths buttoned shut and all 3 hooks firmly implanted. Once again, the lack of barbs saved me from having to cut them. However, if I keep going at this rate, I have a feeling that I will be spending a lot of money on replacement hooks.

I would hate to lose the fish of a lifetime to save a buck on a couple hooks!

Brian

I do recall hearing/ seeing this sot of thing on occasion. I wouldn't change more than one treble to single per bait.

for instance, I don't think I would change out any hook on the belly of crank as the muskies broadside the bait a lot and its too easy for a single hook to lie flat against the bait and render it useless.

the tail hook on the other hand I would be willing to make the change: think stinger hooks. from behind the hook is more likely to be in the correct position for hook set. in fact this is the one hook I have seen as a single from the factory and think of spinner baits: they only ever have one upturned hook- and maybe that stinger. that would certainly save you a tangle of fish and bait on a broadside hit.

I really like the idea of possibly changing out just the rear hook. That seems to be the one that ends up in the most difficult area anyhow.

Brian,

I agree with you 100%. However, if you've seen any of my threads about flyfishing for these beasts, you can tell that I have plenty of lost/missed fish in my future!! LOL

I think I had to cut hooks about 4 times last year total on muskies and I don't bend any barbs down. Lots of fish come unhooked in the net as you are looking for the pliers.

Your having problems with pike right now.....pike seem to bash stuff when they commit and I do hook them deep most of the time. I've had to totally trash 2 bull dawgs to get 2 pike off 2 seasons ago. Maybe it's just my thinkings on this or maybe others feel the same??????

I think I'd stick to replacing hooks for now. The larger the fish it seems the easier unhooking it's been for me. The little hammerhandles that are wild are the ones that give me problems. Start hitting muskie and I'll bet you'll have less problems.

Buy one less bait this year and it will pay for your hooks your loosing and not your next personal best fish is what I'd say.

I was thinking the same exact thing Frank, but just didn't say anything. I think the muskies will be a different story than the pike you are catching. I don't smash any barbs either, and I am usually catching muskies on plugs that have two or three sets of trebles trolled at higher speeds. Very rare that I have to cut hooks, and I am a fanatic when it comes to releasing all our muskies quickly and unharmed. Like Frank said, a lot of fish come unhooked in the net when they thrash around in the water when you are looking for pliers. Keep a good set of heavy, long hookouts/pliers. Grab the bend on the hook where it enters the flesh on the fish and give it a good hard shake or yank, almost using the weight of the fish to apply force aginst the hook and direction you are pulling. Any gingerly pulling or shaking will not get the job done and just take too long. I keep knippex and heavy bolt cutters just in case.

Even if you do have to cut hooks, they are cheap and if you have the right kind of knippex and bolt cutters ready, it's just as quick as yanking hooks out. Just remember to remove the hook pieces left in the fish if you do have to cut.

Great point about the smaller fish!! With the limited amount of Musky that we have landed, only one (the first) created a very tough issue with getting the hooks out. We did have to cut the back trebles. Most of the others had the hooks pop right out with not much of an issue and some did come out in the net.

The trout fisherman in me will continue with the pinched barbs on my baits. So far, I have not seen any evidence of losing fish because of it. And since I fish solo quite a bit, I prefer anything that can make the release as efficient as possible.

Thanks for the input guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by ttabaleulb View Post
    Great point about the smaller fish!! With the limited amount of Musky that we have landed, only one (the first) created a very tough issue with getting the hooks out. We did have to cut the back trebles. Most of the others had the hooks pop right out with not much of an issue and some did come out in the net.

The trout fisherman in me will continue with the pinched barbs on my baits. So far, I have not seen any evidence of losing fish because of it. And since I fish solo quite a bit, I prefer anything that can make the release as efficient as possible.

Thanks for the input guys!!
    I keep calling you about getting out and chasing some 'skies...but no return phone call...what's up with that?