www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: How long did it take before you.........

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How long did it take before you.........

How long did it take you to catch your first musky?

*I moved to Warren in Oct. of '93. After about 2-3 months of getting the right tackle, experimenting with certain lures and learning the river, I finally connected in Late-January. It was a boatside strike. I was using a plain jig tipped with a 8-9-inch dead shad. That moment is forever burning in my brain.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I was fishing for about 5 or 6 months before I got my 1st ski. I got it at the Tionesta outflow Labor day weekend. I didnt have the correct release tools or net. After I dropped it twice I decided to keep it. It was 40". I got it mounted. I caught it on a 10" suick. I still remember seeing that fish attack the bait as I screamed for my wife to get over here!!!! I have the lure hanging in the basement retired.

I caught my first muskie in 1995, at the age of twelve. I made an order to bass pro consisting of a blue fox bucktail, suick, daredevel spoon and a black bulldawg. I caught my first muskie on the river a month later that summer on the blue fox bucktail. My dad fished muskies on the river and kinzua for many years, so I did have some of the right equipment to start with. But it was kinda neat catching it on a lure I picked out and bought myself. I still catch fish from the same location.

Red, I thought I read an article one time that your first muskie was caught on a swim wizz...I probably am confused though...any of your early fish caught on a swim wizz
    Last edited by cband; 04-30-2009 at 03:21 PM.

I can't remember my first musky for sure....it was definitely nonlegal. Probably caught in the lower Allegheny while walleye fishing; I would have been around 10-12. My first legal fish was caught at Tionesta (39 inch) when I was 13 (I think). We caught 10 fish from 25-39 that day in January.

Anyone ever land a legal musky on 4lb test??? I've landed a few while walleye fishing with jigs in the winter...none over 40.

Phil

Default How long.....

My first musky was caught my first year fishing for them. It was caught in the Susquehanna River. 43 " 17.5 lb. caught using a Perch colored J-13 Rapala with 8 lb. flourocarbon line and no leader. I caught two other ones that year a 29 " and a 35 " I have learned alot since then and continue to learn more....I don't use flourocarbon and do use a leader on my braided line. Still like those J-13 in Perch color though.

Bob S.

It was 1988 and I was 17 years old. I decided to actually try and target catching a musky specifically. I went after school 3 evenings in a row armed with a bucket of creek chubs. The first evening I caught a 20 inch largemouth and also had a musky bite me off. I was only using 6 inch steel leaders and learned a lesson that day. The 2nd evening was uneventful. The third evening I landed a 36 inch hybrid. This was out of Connoquenessing Creek not very far from Howard Wagner's place.

I did catch a 34 inch hybrid prior to this, but I was fishing for smallmouth. It ate a crawfish.

I really didn't fish for muskies again until 2004. I caught the musky bug before leaving for our yearly Ontario trip, and my brother and I spent a good portion of that week fishing for them. We caught 3 that week. My brother got his first (a 50.5 incher) midweek. The next day I caught 2 mid thirty inchers. Oh, I also lost a big one that week. It hit a suick and immediately went airborne. While it was in the air, it threw the suick back at me. That one left my knees shaking! I've been hooked since!!!!!
    Last edited by muskie52; 05-01-2009 at 02:58 AM.