www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Post-frontal Muskies

Default Post-frontal Muskies

To get the "juices flowing" again, I thought it would be a good idea to get a good muskie discussion started. While online I came across a post asking this question:

"What is everyone's favorite bait/presentation for a post front? And does it matter if a storm was included in that front? Getting out this weekend and it looks to be nice and warm all week and then cool off in a hurry the night before we leave and stay that way through the weekend. Just trying to get an idea to the best approach. Thanks for any help in advance."

Here is my response with a technique that has worked well for me.

Let's hear some other methods that have worked for you in the past.

I like to try a variety of tactics but usually start by picking apart a couple weed beds that I think should be holding fish at the time (due to wind, bait-fish location etc...). My best overall presentation has been to make contact with the cover, be in the cover and at the same time, not get hung up or snagged. The jointed crankbait has by far outproduced any lure in my boat when faced with tough, post-frontal fishing conditions. Part of the reason that I think jointed crankbaits are so effective during these times is because they create the illusion of speed with their aggressive wobble action - when in fact the angler is working the lure slow. I generally first start shallow and try to cast every square inch of the particular weed-structure I am fishing, concentrating on pockets and irregularities. The most important thing to do is make contact with the cover - with those first couple rips forward, I want that crankbait to dive right into the weeds. Then release the line tension and let the bouncy of the lure work to your advantage as the lure backs itself right out of the snag. A few quick jerks of the rod should clear any debris that may still be hanging on the diving lip. If I do not find success working the shallow flats, I will start to work the same area, only this time parallel and with a deep-diver. When cooler winds drop the surface temps, I believe that muskies simply move vertically in the water column, using hardly any energy to keep themselves in their ideal temperature range. I have found more success in tough conditions by taking time to work a spot over very thoroughly rather than utilizing a run-and-gun fishing style. If I still do not find success, I might try changing up colors. Another well known technique is to down-size your presentation, especially if you find you are getting lazy follows. And as already mentioned in another post, try to take advantage of key feeding times such as SR, SS, MR and MS.

Chas Martin
    Musky Mastery Guide Service
    www.muskymastery.com
    Last edited by Chas Martin; 04-28-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Addition
    Chas Martin
    Musky Mastery Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.muskymasteryguideservice.com

I agree with Chas 100% I have also had success with jointed cranks in the weeds. Also I like to use topwaters in post-frontal conditions. I usually cast into the gaps in weeds and irregularities like Chas does. Which usually gets a fish to fallow then a speed up the pace and the fish will explode on it. That is one of the tactics that has worked for me in post-frontal conditions along with cranks. I would like to know if anyone has a new tactic I am interrested. Thanks!