www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: trip to Leech first week of June

Default trip to Leech first week of June

Hi,

We're planning a trip to Leech the first week of June. I have a group of 5-6 guys. We haven't fished Leech in about 4 years and we're looking for resort recomendations.
    Also, I understand there's a walleye tournement taking place the week before--true? And, how will that affect our fishing? Will the walleyes be "over fished"? Will the "usual spots" not produce?

any help would be appreciated!

Default Brindley's Harbor Resort

I suggest Brindley's, a very nice resort close to good fishing. Clean and neat, fish cleaning part of package, very nice harbor.

The tournament will not hurt fishing at all. It is a big lake and we now have a very good population of walleyes.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply! We'll certainly check out availability at Brindley's.

Four years ago, when we were at Leech last time, in early June, it was jig and minnow, presentation. In 15-25 feet or less? Wind blown points/close to shore? Still the same now?

Default Right On the Money

The fish will remain in fairly shallow water if the shiners are present. We have caught fish in 5 feet of water near shore at times when the wind blows. If you are not catching fish, move a bit deeper till contact is made. Follow the forage is the key. You will really enjoy your stay at Brindley's, say hello for me.
    Jim Murphy

Thanks for the help Murph.

Another question for you. I've always used 6=8 pound mono on my reels for vertical jigging walleyes. I was advised by someone at a local Bass Pro shop I should try using 100% flourocarbon. I've used flourocarbon as a leader, when rigging, but not 100% flourocarbon on my reel. What do you think?

thanks.

Default Line

I use 6 lb. test line for jigging walleyes. I use a swivel and use about 3 feet of fluorocarbon line. I don't spool up with fluorocarbon to avoid the coiling the line gets with a small diameter spool. With that said the newer fluorocarbon lines may not have the same memory that the older line had. Regular line is cheaper and I only use the fluorocarbon line as a leader when jigging and rigging. I use the swivel to avoid line twist that is common when aggressively jigging. I also change my line often. I peel off several feet of line and retie with new line. Just tie back to back Uni knots and you can save some money.
    Jim Murphy

The guy as Bass pro shops advised me to use 100% Vanish on my reel. I've never used all flourocarbon, only as a leader.
    The 6 pound XL mono is cheaper...but, I don't want to sacrifice catching fish for slightly more cost for line.
    I should still stick with 6-8 pound XL mono? And use a swivel with a flourocarbon leader?