www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Home Water

Default Home Water

Ok guys, I need some advise. Started my muskie fishing season last week and I am having trouble locating fish. Nothing new right??? Water temps in the main lake are running around 57 degrees with the back bays being in the 65 - 67 degree range. Where do you think the fish will be? Should I be fishing the structure in the shallow bays, or the points in the main lake? I've got some good deep water humps in my lake also. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thumbs up finding spring muskies

With the water temperatures you mentioned, most of the muskies will be in the warmer bays going through the motions of spawning. That makes them harder to catch, but not impossible. If you can find fish in the cooler sections of the lake, they'll be more likely to bite a lure because they haven't yet begun to spawn. Any bay with a creek inlet will draw fish like a magnet.

Try trolling 4" to 6" crankbaits in 4' to 7' of water. Right now, the majority of the muskies are spending a lot of time in those depths. Forget main lake reefs and islands for now and concentrate on shoreline related structure. Watch your sonar and note the places where there are fish cribs, small rock or gravel points, and developing weeds. These will all hold fish now.

As the water temps push past 65 degrees, fish will start to move out to main lake structures. So if they disappear from the bays, start moving out to cooler water.

Good luck.