Can ya believe that the BIG Fishing opener is just around the corner! Just 8 days from now!

Black Oak Lake is about the only lake left that hasn’t opened up yet as of this morning when I drove past, but with the warm temp’s and showers we are supposed to get over the next week I’m sure that it will be open and ready to give up a few trophy walleye.

As far as Forest Lake goes, I’m not sure how the fishing will be out there at this point, because it sure did get pounded this winter! I was out there fishing one day and counted 47 vehicles out there, and that was just one day. It got fished Very hard all winter long. I think the slot on Forest should help but who knows after the pounding it took. A lot of the spawning walleye are in the slot, and producing fish that grow to the slot, and then I think stay in the slot size a lot longer.

The Desert had its normal pressure this winter if not a little less than usual. Everything will depend on what the spearing quotas leave for walleye fishing out there. As of today in the new supplement from the DNR, it’s saying that there will be a bag limit of 3 for the opener of fishing.

Big Portage for the most part was left alone most all winter so the fishing should be fair to good on that lake. With the slot limit of 14-18 a lot of walleye can be caught and then tossed back since the bulk of the walleye it seems are in the slot. Who knows, maybe the DNR will raise the slot limit to 18-22, so this batch of walleye can continue to grow.

The Cisco Chain with Big Lake, Mamie Lake and the others should be pretty good fishing like always. I talked with a buddy and he said that there is still some ice floating around out there but for sure everything will be open by May 2 other than Thousand Island. He said that there is still a whole lot of ice on that lake, but since it’s in Michigan it can’t get hit till the 15th of May.

High Lake and Fishtrap seem to have a bit more water in them than they did last year at ice out so they should be a lot of fun to get a few meals out of.

Stormy Lake is showing some really good trout fishing already this season!