www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ideal Flowage Fishing Boat

Default Ideal Flowage Fishing Boat

Wondering what you guys consider the ideal fishing rig for the TFF?

What do you currently run?

I've got a 1962 Alumacraft FD-6 with a 1985 Johnson 25HP shortshaft tiller, and I could not be happier! I'm also partial to the Grumman Sportboats for the TFF.

30' Wellcraft Scarab with twin 454's

I prefer this one. If you lose a prop or lower unit, you have 7 more to get you home!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 outboards.JPG 
Views:	554 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	4513  
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

George:
    What happens when you make a turn with that thing!?!? Don't the end motors props come out of the water?
    Is that a drug runner catching boat or something? 2000 HP !?!?

Default Yes, but 8 times as likely to hit a stump!

That's actually a real boat. Here's an article about the court case involving the British boatbuilder. Apparently they were selling them to drug smugglers for runs between Morocco and Spain, and the company was also being used as a front for money laundering. The article shows a couple other pictures of the boats, and one shows it turning. The outer engines look like they're ventilating a bit, but the hull bottom is pretty flat so it doesn't bank as much as you might expect.

Looks like fun, if you can afford the gas bill - the article says it burns about 900 liters (238 gallons) per hour at WOT! I'll stick with mine - just as fast on less than 1/10 the gas. And can you imagine the electric trolling motor you'd need to hold that thing in a stiff wind?

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/a...urt-hears.html

Yeah, I knew drugs were involved somehow in that thing, either in the use of the boat, or the boat builder was on drugs when he drew up the plans

A thought just came to me. I wonder what the Yamaha rep that calls on this boat builder thought this guy was making? I dunno what he's doin' with that many motors boss, but he keeps our 250 line goin' and for some reason always orders 'em in multiples of 8. And he always pays in cash!
    Last edited by George; 04-25-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

1990 Lund Tyee 1850 Gran Sport, with 1989 Mercury XR6 150 HP.

Actually, haven't had it on the TFF yet, wishful thinking. Hope to late May.

just my .02
    anything aluminum, 17 to 20 ft. 75 to 150 hp outboard..

Best Boat to run on the TFF ---------------> YOUR NEIGHBORS

Anything that outruns those trying to follow you to the honey hole

Attachment 26505
    Attachment 26506
    Attachment 26507
    Attachment 26509
    Here's my boat. It's a '99 Princecraft DLX 178. 2 livewells, (big one is 48"). I bought it new, so there is a 2014 e-tech on it now along with a MinnKota PowerDrive 2. The boat is comfortable, has lots of room to move around, and handles heavy water really really well. Oh, and I have explain the picture in the front of the boat. My grandson was experimenting with alternative ways to wear a life jacket...kids! It also trailers very easily.

Can't seem to get the image of the boat on the trailer to flip even though I flipped it in the file...but you get the idea.
    George

Haven't posted a picture on here before, but I'll give it a try.

I personally have 2 boats I use on the Flowage. The first boat I ran out there is an older 1980's Lund with a newer 4 stroke Honda 30 HP tiller motor. It's a great boat for learning the Flowage on, especially when it comes to not having to worry about doing a lot of damage to a newer, more expensive boat. It's also nice to let a guest use it and again, not having to worry--at least as much about potential damage. The other boat I run (picture attached-maybe) is an Alumacraft Competior 165 sport (full windshield) with a 90 hp Yamaha 4 stroke and a 9.9 Yamaha kicker.

IMO it depends on what you're looking to do out there. My friends and I fish hard in the late fall; which makes the full windshield a blessing. The added weight really helps, too. In the older Lund we got blown around like a kite from time-to-time late in the year, which made the fishing we were trying to do much more difficult. Also, when the water is down in the fall, we typically go a lot slower; so a big motor isn't really a necessity--at least for us. Something I've done w/ both boats and would highly recommend is: upgrading and getting dialed in w/ good electronics. Not just for fishing & locating various structure, but for navigating.

Attachment 26510