www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: ack... fishing but no fish on hook.

Default ack... fishing but no fish on hook.

Tonight the misses and I went out to Lake Wisconsin at "the Grade". We had medium sized minnows, nightcrawlers, wigglers, and artificials. A spinning reel with a ML rod. spincasting reel with and UL rod. and spincasting reel with a Heavy rod. each with variable test lb lines.
    We started at 7 pm and finally finished fishing at 1 am. during that time we had not a single bite. But all around us, the fish were jumping at the surface. During that time We through everything at them, and nothing.. not a single bite. Since middle of march we have been fishing and we have NOT had a single fish.
    I would love to shadow with someone so I can learn more or correct what Im doing wrong so something... because it is rather frustrating. I know its still early in the season.

Noobfisherman.

Default Early season panfish

I got quite a few gills and a few crappies on monona in the same places that I was ice fishing (triangles/monona bay) using the same baits (small jig with a red tail with a wax worm) fishinig a slip bobber 4 feet down in 8 feet of water. The water is still really cold (48 degrees) and I have yet to find the crappies in 4 times out. It is just too cold and the fish are still in the ice fishing spots. The Lilacs are not even close to blooming and Crappies won't bite until that happens. I have noticed a bunch of large mouth bass & a few northerns in shallow areas when cruising for crappies on both mendota and monona.

Good luck,

Rex

this early in the year fish the small ponds they warm faster and the fish become active sooner use ice jigs the smallest ones with no plastic bait on it and slap a spike on the jig if they don't bite soaking it under a bobber give the line some gentle jerks about 3 in a row every 30 seconds or so

good luck