www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Opening!

Default Opening!

Is Opening Weekend the 9th this year? We are headed up on the 21st, for at least 4 days, if the fishing is good, may stay til the 1st of June.

We are staying at Grand Vu again this year, maybe at Trader's second part of the trip.

We caught most of our fish at Pine and right out in front of Grand Vu last year, few at Hardwood. I was curious why I rarely ever hear mention of Stoney Pt. on here, as I remember it being one of the best spots on the Lake when I was younger. We did not get over there last year.

We are coming more prepared this year, real nice boat, big motor, GPS and all, and I was curious about some other good Walleye spots around the Lake. Are we in the best area? How is the fishing back around the corner from us (cedar pt, sand pt, and the 2 bays back in there.

I remember catching lots of fish at Otter and Goose back when I was younger also, but we did not have much luck at thos spots last year. Does wind have a preety big effect on early season Eyes on the big lake?

I thought I would also bring more options this year, such as the hollow belly swim baits, and bottom bouncers with the new Hydro-vent spinners.

Any suggestions, input or feedback would be much appreciated. I used to Walleye fish a lot when I was younger (been 15-20 years) and am just getting back into it. Last years trip was fun, but i want to make this years trip better.

Sorry for the long ramble, but it did not look like you have had to respoond to a lot of posts lately.

Thanks!

By the way, how is the weather?

Default Walleyes

The opener is on May 9th this year. You will arrive a few weeks later and the water temps should be warmer. The females should be over their spawning stress and should be ready to put on the feed bag. Covering water with bottom bouncers will be a good option. Spinners with Gulp or crawlers will put some fish in the boat. The fish should be out on several of the main lake rocks and large flats. Trolling crank baits is also a good presentation.

During the evening low light hours the fish make a shallow move and will be on the large points. Jigs tipped with minnows are my favorite method of putting some fish in the boat. Trolling cranks is also a way to cover water.

With this said, mother nature will dictate the presentation that you will have to use. Hopefully we will have a normal summer this year and can predict seasonal movements of the fish. We will be giving information on the board that will help with information on the fish movement, stay tuned.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com