www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 2009 Longest Release

Default 2009 Longest Release

Alright Boys and Girls...Since I fish muskies exclusively on my annual excursion to AML was wondering what everyone thought would be this years' longest release at AML. With the 55" size limit in effect for a couple of years and the number of large fish seen last year and in 2007 I'm sure someone will tie into a real pig this year.

I'm guessing 55 X 28 and in the low 50# range probably caught in late September or October. We all know she's in this magnificent body of water...who's gonna be the lucky one to tie into her and have all the stars fall into place?

Let's hear from you avid muskie nuts on what you think

Smile

Well Chuck, all i can say is i hope it comes from AML. With all the hard work that goes into it. With Mikey gettin his 55" a few years ago you never can tell what you are going to tie into. In recent years all the sightings of huge fish in the mid to upper 50's it is more realistic today than ever. All the fish that have been caught between 50-54 are now getting to the size you are talking about. Think of this past season the size of fish that Danny saw and had on while walleye fishing. Most of these legendary fish are roaming where no one fishes. But they do make mistakes. Chuck i dream of this a lot, catching the fish of a lifetime. Wondering where will she come from and what will she eat. There are so many places on Eagle where it could happen, and with a little luck will happen. You have to treat every cast as if it's the one.

Scott

Well, if you read Herbie's season recaps, it seems to me each year out of AML there's always something roughly like this:
    1 (maybe 2) 55"+
    3-5 54" or 54.5"
    15-20 52-54"
    Many 50-52"

And that's what actually gets landed, not what's lost. There are a lot of other fish lost. The way my analytical mind looks at it is that 1.)there are only so many big fish to contact. 2.)you have a certain number of anglers trying to contact those big fish in roughly the same number of hours fished each year. So, its a realistic expectation for this year to have roughly the same numbers and size distribution as past years. If it's a great year (for whatever reason like weather, fewer fish lost, etc), bump up a few more in each range. If it's a bad year, then take a few away from each range.

So, when you ask what will be the 2009 longest fish...it really becomes kind of like a "statistical" question. There will be probably be 1, 2 or 3 fish caught in the 55"+ category. So then the question then becomes what are the chances that one of those 1-3 fish will be 56-60" vs. the more likely case it's 55-56"?

My answer is that while it is possible, it is not probable. But it's Eagle Lake and anything can happen. There is a CHANCE that one of those 55"+ will be a mega-giant 56-60". I wouldn't be my life on it, but I 100% absolutely believe it can and WILL happen on Eagle, and soon (i.e. the next 2-3 years given favorable conditions/patterns).

-Dan

PS: Scotty, I too dream of catching the "fish of a lifetime". But I already consider my 54" a "fish of a lifetime." I have come to terms that I may never catch one longer than that. I'm "ok" with that. I hope it's not the case, obviously. But it is possible I may never get one bigger. I may get a heavier 52 or 53", or something like that. Who knows. I don't take anything for granted. I'm gonna keep at it, and keep getting better as a fisherman. And if the great Eagle Lake deems me worthy again, we'll see what happens. But, as bad as this sounds, I can "die happy" now with my 54". Accomplishing that goal meant that much to me. Again, people in my family think I'm crazy when I say my 50"+ Musky means more to me than graduating with honors for my MBA from Columbia Business School in NY. That's no BS man.

Hey fellas i finally got back to log on! Had some computer problems that got fixed.

Dan R,
    First i want to say congats (which was way overdue) on your fish! My father and I were really happy to see that it happeded to you since you have put in the time on the water. She is a beautiful hey? I am guessing you are getting a mount on her? Like you all said in the post about the big girls getting released, know doubt the more let go, the more they grow. I hope to get the girl I let go a few years ago cause that puppy was a "clean and heathy" fish. Hopefully the timing and a little luck it will happen again to me and more importantly to my father.

Glad to be back on the AML site and talk/see you all soon.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S WI View Post
    First i want to say congats (which was way overdue) on your fish! My father and I were really happy to see that it happeded to you since you have put in the time on the water. She is a beautiful hey? I am guessing you are getting a mount on her?
    Thanks Steve. Yeah, she was a beaut, and the fight was awesome and something I'll never forget. We were all shaking while we lit up cigarettes (and I don't even smoke cigarettes LOL) in the boat after I let her go!! HAHA!!

Yes, I am getting a reproduction. Should be done around late June-early August.

Thanks again. Your Dad is due for a MONSTER now!!!

-Dan

Default Big fish of 2009

I'm going to put my money on 54-1/2" x 27-1/2" girth. Probably caught late in the season, legitimate 50 pound class fish.

Oh yeah, and I'm getting a 52"!

Quote Originally Posted by esoxaddict View Post
    Oh yeah, and I'm getting a 52"!
    I just have this feeling it's gonna happen fer ya!!! Keep at it, and it will happen!!! Stay positive and pay attention...good things always happen on Eagle...

I am going to go out on an optimistic limb and say that this is the year that someone boats a fish pushing 60". It has been far too long for this quality of fisherman and on this water to not have boated one. We all know that they are there... See and not caught. I have a good feeling about this year, and if I had to put a number on it I would say a 58.5 anywhere from mid august till closing.

I hope that this is the year, and if its out of eagle it will be out of Herbie's camp.

See you all this summer,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alexnsw View Post
    I am going to go out on an optimistic limb and say that this is the year that someone boats a fish pushing 60".
    Wow, you are optimistic. I'm taking the wait and see approach. I truly believe 75% of this is the weather...and right now it's freaking 45 degrees here in Chicago and it's almost May!!! A late spring, or a generally cold year could screw things up and make it an off year. I think 2004 was like that, and when i was up there in August, everyone was saying it was a relatively hard year.

I hope you are right though!!!

-Dan

I figure that statistically it has to happen at some point. Why not pick this year? I may be wrong but hey it wouldnt be the first time.

Good luck to all,
    Alex

I'm just afraid it will be the day after I go

Originally posted this thread on April 20th. As far as I know there have been a few 53 "ers caught this season and I know of three fish pushing 50#'s that managed to get off the week Dan and I were up.

With the best six weeks still ahead anyone want to revise their numbers? I still believe that 50# beast will be boated before this season comes to an end.

Chuckie

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Schranz View Post
    Originally posted this thread on April 20th. As far as I know there have been a few 53 "ers caught this season and I know of three fish pushing 50#'s that managed to get off the week Dan and I were up.

With the best six weeks still ahead anyone want to revise their numbers? I still believe that 50# beast will be boated before this season comes to an end.

Chuckie
    I'm not revising my numbers.

After having that possible 50# class BEAST on, and hearing Perry's story of his BEAST from earlier that week...I still that there is just soooooooo much that needs to go "right" to land one of these fish. You can do nothing wrong, and still the odds are you are going to lose the battle.

I hope Herbie gets a chance at one. My money would be on him to actually win the battle. He's seen it all, and could possibly dictate the direction of the battle to a positive outcome.

-Dan

50 lbs???? Holy crap I need to start fishing eagle instead of LOTW.

I've seen quite a few on LOTW over 50 inches, but nothing I would come close to estimating at 50lbs!

Im sticking with one pushing 60 still... as I said before, Eagle is the place to do it, and statistically its bound to happen at some point. why not pick now?

Hope im right, not suprised if im not,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by jhillman17 View Post
    50 lbs???? Holy crap I need to start fishing eagle instead of LOTW.

I've seen quite a few on LOTW over 50 inches, but nothing I would come close to estimating at 50lbs!
    Yes, yes you do. I fished LOTW a few times. One time to Eagle in 2002...never been back to LOTW.

-Dan

Hey Mr Hillman:

I have to concur whole-heartedly with Dan. Wouldn't think 50#ers unless I saw it first hand myself. Was right at his side, along with our guide while he battled this monster. This stage took place on a Thursday morning and was the camp's third encounter with a 50# that week. All different fish in very different locations with accomplished fishermen on the other end of the rod. These are guys who have caught large fish in the past and are reliable sources for determining length and weight. All these fish were estimated at 55" or better. They definitely inhabit the great waters of Eagle.

So.........what do you have to lose other than the chance to battle one of these sows? Can't speak of LOTW first hand...never been there and have no intentions of going there. Do know one thing for sure about AML and Eagle...many quality (50") fish seen over the course of a week...one or two cracks a day at a fish and the chance at the fish of a lifetime.

Hope this helps you in your decision making process and you consider AML for your 2010 season. You won't regret it!

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Schranz View Post
    I have to concur whole-heartedly with Dan. Wouldn't think 50#ers unless I saw it first hand myself.
    Well, Chuckie, you had seen fish like that before. I know when that happened, me, you, & Cal all were being "conservative" when we all said "Easily a legal, and easily 45lbs". In my heart of hearts, I believe that fish was more like 55+", with a very big build. I was quietly thinking to myself, "Gees, could that have been a 50#?". And I know you guys were also quietly thinking the same thing.

It wasn't until we saw Herbie, and told him where it happened. He had possibly seen that fish in that area recently...and he said, "If it was THAT one I saw, it's probably a 50# class fish." It just confirmed what we were all thinking, but not saying at that point. Nobody wants to exaggerate and sound like a jack@ss in the boat saying stuff like that. But when a guy like Herbie says it, then you know that what we all experienced was quite special.

Sure, I wish the outcome turned out in our favor, but I don't have any regrets about it. I feel truly blessed to have even witnessed & fought that magnificent animal for 15-20 seconds. And like I said, with the trajectory that the Eagle musky fishery is on, and with me being "only" 35 years old, I truly believe I will have another chance at a fish like that on that lake in my lifetime.

-Dan

Dan, thanks for your kind words. It was a treat to spend time getting to know you and Chuck and Ron Barefield, Rob Menthes, Pete and Tex Maina and all the rest of the great fishermen at AML, including, of course, the incredible staff. How about Jamie wiring several batteries together for me so I had plenty of trolling motor juice for the big wind days? Everybody goes out of their way to make the trip wonderful. Thanks to all of you!
    I think I can support your story about the beast Dan hooked. As you know, I fished the weed part of that spot two days before and worked it over with a bucktail and then a topwater without seeing anything. I couldn't leave it at that, though, because the weeds looked so great, so I put on one of my homemade wooden frogs and threw that out. That bait has to be worked very slowly so the rubber skirt will wiggle correctly on the surface and as soon as I started to bring it over the weeds a monster popped up and followed with her nose two inches behind the bait all the way to the boat. I am not at all surprised by the estimates of her length and weight. The frog is five inches long and the skirt adds three inches and I was afraid for it in front of that huge green head. I was wobbly by the time she finished fading back into the cover. What a fish! I believe I saw her or her close sister in that area two more times during my trip.
    I had the great privilege of fishing for three weeks and highly recommend the longer trip to anybody who can figure out how make that happen. I'm paying the price now that I'm back at work, but it was worth it. It is a very different experience from the one week visits we usually have to subsist on. You don't count the days or worry about the weather, and you feel the freedom to explore good looking spots nobody fishes. That can pay off hugely.
    I netted 18 fish over forty inches, including a 50 and two 49s, many of them alone in the boat. And, if I could have back just 8 of the 10,000 or so casts I made in 20 days, I could have netted a bunch over 50, including several waaay over that mark. Eagle Lake is like that. And the fish this year are tremendously heavy.
    In one day with Cal I somehow lost a well hooked 51 while it was going down and away from us; touched and scared off the longest fish he has seen all year with my bait during the figure eight (we guessed 57); missed another 50 at the boat; and actually shook off a mid-50s fish that hit so hard out on the cast that I thought I was snagged on the reef reef until she came up shaking her head. With Scotty Jags I momentarily hooked another legal size fish way out and then let the bait pause as I tried to recover the slack from my prodigous hookset (no more shaking them off). Of course, the fish showed up wanting to eat again just as the bait died in the water. She followed all the way to the boat just to rub my nose in it. The really big ones have a genius for catching us in our bad moments, which is why nobody has boated one yet this year (if you don't count 53 as big). People will have many chances at truly big ones during these last weeks of the season on Eagle, and there are certainly 57 inch fish with huge girth swimming around the rocks and weeds accessible to casting fishermen. How much bigger they get in the trout holes or other deep places is impossible to say until somebody is in the right place at the right time some day and has the wit and luck to do everything right.
    On my last cast of the trip I missed a glow-in-the-dark monster in the crystal clear water at the end of the West Arm. I put up my rod after going in head first to circle and then hook her nine feet below the boat. Apparently, that is not a recommended procedure, since the hooks came away after just a few seconds. I'll be able to see her in my mind until I get back there next year.

Bill Hedden

Wow guys, reading this post has a whole new effect as the weather is warming up and the ice is melting... My trip to AML is still months away and all I want to do after reading these posts is go pack the car!

One thing I can say for sure is they're out there. Getting everything perfect? I'm miles from that, but even I've seen some monsters just hanging in the water or following baits. No question, Eagle has lots of very big fish. It's just a matter of time...

Wow! Been busy since the 1st of the year and thought I'd check out what's been happening at AML. Saw the thread I posted just over a year ago and I guess it's time to make our predictions for 2010. Pretty sure last year Scotty J ended up with the largest release...55"...45+#.

Fish were seen, hooked and unfortunately lost during the course of last season of comparable and even larger proportion but alas that's just a good fish story making for fond memories.

Now for 2010. Having seen some monster fish over the past few seasons I just marvel at their overall length and girth. But, I know that fish in excess of 55"-56" are rare and genetic freaks...but they do swim the waters of Eagle.

I'm guessing at 56 1/4"...51#...caught in mid to late September or during that special musky extravaganza that Herbie's doing this year in October for the truly die-hard angler.

What's everyone else thinking? We've got the makings for an outstanding year especially with the good weather we've all enjoyed this spring and the best part of the season ahead of us.

Take care all

Chuck