www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: How close is TOO close??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Back before I had a jet we were drift fishing with the electric motor and there was a guy trout fishing in the middle of a narrow area. The current is up pretty good there so I decided to motor in behind him so kick up the motor on high.....as I get closer and closer it's not looking good. I hollard at him and tell him I'm trying to get behind you but not sure I can make it!
    I thought I was going to run him over, finally we hit a calmer spot and the electric took over and we ended up 6 feet behind him and didn't run him down.
    I wasn't sure what he was going to say. He's like.....hey thanks for not blowing thorugh my fishing area even though I thought you were going to run me over. It's nice to see some people care to at least try.
    Most river guys understand the jet thing and even if you try a little it shows you did something.....I'm sure they hate it no matter what.
    I would if I didn't own one, wading now, I'd wave a jet right up past.

I would have to say if you're fishing within my casting distance, you're too close. People floating by in canoes/kayaks generally avoid fisherman in my fishing areas. But as with all things, there are those occasional morons. I have never had problems on the river until recently. In my eddy there are now more boats fishing and passing through than I have ever seen in 14 years of fishing it. Most of them are respectful of my space, but some of these new guys around are idiots. I've had a boat anchor within 20 feet of me and ask where all the fish are. Those of us who live on the riverfront are getting a little more upset every time someone comes into our back yard and does something stupid like this. It won't be long until they start catching the biggest lures I have in my arsenal.