www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Line

Default Musky Line

It's time for me to re-string my Musky rigs. I'm looking at getting either 50 lb PowerPro (Red) or 50 lb Fireline (Flame Green). Any thoughts/comments/experiences with these lines? Also, does the color of musky line make a difference?

Is there a third, better option which I have not mentioned? I have read reviews saying that the PP is better due to the fact that it is round. Apparently Fireline is more flat...?

Thanks a lot.

Thumbs up PowerPro line is very good.

I've been using PowerPro the last two years and swear by it. It is almost impossible to get a backlash with it. Once I saw how well it behaved on my reel, I immediately put it on the outfit that my 13 yr old uses and he immedately stopped getting birdnests. Now we both have more fun fishing together.

I've caught a number of muskies, northern, and bass on this line and it's performance in the water is what you'd expect from a line. There is little or no stretch to the line. I had a musky slam a spinner last year and it about sprained my wrist. You can feel your lure tick the weeds as well. It is difficult to cut, but that is a good thing. It feels waxy and does not hold water like regular braided line. This is really nice in cold weather. When I was using Cortland Braided Musky line, my hand holding the rod was always wet from the water spraying off the line as it went onto the spool. With the Power Pro I don't have that issue any more.

There is a great review that may help:
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpowerpro.html

I want to be clear that I am in no way associated with the manufacutrer of PowerPro in case this sounds too much like an endorsement.

Default Another Vote for Power Pro

Power Pro is the best line I have used for all types of fishing situations, especially for muskie fishing. I have used the line for a number of years now and only have good things to say. Macker, I agree with you 100% and great post with the link to tackletour.com, that has been a great site to find reviews.

I have all my muskie setups spooled with Power Pro 80lb test moss green with the diameter equivalent to 18lb test. The only down side to Power Pro is that the dye tends to come off after a while but it does not affect the line's strengh/durability in any way. The only update I have heard recently is that Power Pro was bought by Shimano but the line is still made in the USA.

Chas Martin
    Musky Mastery Guide Service
    www.muskymastery.com

Default Thought So...

That is the outcome which I was expecting. In my research, with my good friend "Google", I had found similar results. I figured my fellow musky fisherman would have a more definite answer for me, which you did. Is 80 lb test the way to go, rather than 50 lb?

In your experiences, does the color of the line make a difference? I read once that red line is practically invisible in 6 foot of water or more (due to the way light reflects underwater.) But I have had great luck with Green (for walleye especially.) Opinions?

Otter,

Power Pro 50lb VS 80lb? I would say it is just personal preference. Like I said earlier, I have used the 80lb test for a long time now and I have absolutely no reason to switch. The added benefit you do get with the 50lb test would be a thinner diameter line which may allow your diving lures to attain slightly deeper running depths. I guess I would always opt for the stronger line because it can only help when fishing around structure such as rocks and logs that can be abrasive to that first 3 feet of line near the lure.

I have heard that the color red is the first to disappear in most lake waters both clear and stained. Maybe get a spool of each color and do some testing? Sounds like a good summer project!

Chas Martin
    www.muskymastery.com
    Chas Martin
    Web Site: http://www.muskymasteryguideservice.com

Default Suffix Braid

I have used Suffix performance braid last season on three rigs. What I like about it is that it lacks the sticky coating like on PowerPro, FireLine, or others. The Suffix has an incredibly tight braid and is more round than others. The tight braid allows for a smaller line diameter and has a light feel to it in the water yet unbelievable strength. The tighter braid retains less water when casting. More importantly, the Suffix smaller line diameter allows the lure to run deeper and casts farther and is very silky feeling, which is also noticeable with improved casting. The Suffix performance braid is currently my line preference for baitcaster reels.
    Last edited by SecretLake; 04-27-2009 at 06:53 PM.

I used to use Power Pro 65 for muskies, and had too many break offs. I switched to Power Pro 80 and the problem was solved. IMO using less then 80# for muskies, is looking for trouble. If you fish for muskies with 50 or 65 enough....the break offs will happen. As far as color, that is a personal preference. I prefer white, because I feel a muskie's eyes are looking up and the sky is usually white. Also, I find the white line "bleeds" less. Less coloring on your hands and reels. Have a great year.

John Aschenbrenner