www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 4/19/09 RFRG Report w/Muskie Matt - Ice Out

Default 4/19/09 RFRG Report w/Muskie Matt - Ice Out

Ice out is pretty much happening in the area now. Pete called it pretty good with the 20th of April call. Can't get much closer with something as unpredictable as ice out, read on...

Icefishing is wrapping up in our area, a few are still doing some panfishing... bluegills, crappies, perch, etc. but for the most part ice is pulling away from shorlines quite fast now. Some smaller lakes are open, like Jennie Weber Lake, and our bigger waters still have ice but travel on them isn't the safest now and not recommended.

We're seeing a lot of boats coming out of storage now, mine included. Some waters that you CAN fish now for walleyes are the WI river south of Tomahawk and the Wolf River system if a short drive isn't minded. These river systems are experiencing their usual spring walleye run and fishermen from all over are traveling to get some great early walleye fishing in. The jig and minnow approach is the standard approach with pink, white, chartruese, and orange jigs being some popular colors. 1/4 oz. and heavier are typical weights to use in the river systems.

DNR spring hearings produced good voter turnout with new 50in size limits for muskie being approved on three area lakes... Big Sand, Long, and Kentuck. Always check at the boat landings for new regulations being posted.

Other than that, it's time to put away your ice gear and get the boat ready for another open water season in the Eagle River area. Be a lot more to report on as we near our general gamefish opening date of May 2nd. Be sure to get your new 09-10 fishing license, our old ones expired March 31st.

Ice went out in the Lakewood area on April 16th. Water levels never came back from the winter snow and the lake is down 20 inches from ice out last year. Had to look at getting 8 feet more of pier but might as well replace the whole thing seeing it's 20 years old.

Oh well, if I catch some fish it will be worth it plus I will now have a better aiming point when coming in from the evening cocktail cruise.

gfisch

"Hey Schmales, you scratched my anchor !!!"

Rodney Dangerfield, Caddyshack

Default caddyshack

Love the Caddyshack reference... a classic, with many one liners to use daily...