Hi Folks.

Well there’s still some ice fishing going on up here. Reports are coming in that there’s some crappie and perch activity taking place with most of the activity coming from the weed beds. Fishermen are reporting fish being taken in water depths ranging from 10 to 15 feet. Jigs tipped with small minnows and spikes are working the best.

Personally, I’ve wrapped up the ice fishing for the year and have started getting ready for open water – It won’t be long now. We should see a fairly normal spring. With the anticipated temperatures, we should see ice conditions start deteriorating over the next week and I’m looking for some lakes to start losing their ice in about 10 days. If this happens, look for fish to be in post-spawn come opening day. Now’s the time to start making sure EVERYTHING is ready. For a successful opening day outing make sure your reels are cleaned and lubed with new line. If you get a chance to water-test your boat before opener this would be a good idea. The bait of choice will be 1/16 oz jigs and crank baits should also be productive. If anybody has any questions, please feel to post a report and I will try to reply as quickly as possible.

That’s it for now. Watch for more updates as we get closer to the OPENER. Jeff Winters