www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Hello from a freshwater newb from Alaska!!

Default Hello from a freshwater newb from Alaska!!

Let me introduce myself, I grew up in Southeast Alaska fishing some of the great saltwater big game all of my life. Recently I loaded up the family and relocated here, to central Illinois where most of my wife's family is. I had all but given up on fishing, something about freshwater fishing didn't compare to the likes of barn door Halibut, King, Coho, and Sockeye Salmon etc...that is, until a few weeks ago whilst browsing for fishing spots to take my 12 year old to and enjoy a day of catch and release plinking. MUSKIE!! So there is a fish down here in the real world that is both challenging, fiesty, sizable, and rewarding!! I'm hooked already and haven't even wet a line yet. From hours of web browsing, it occurs to me that tactics for these brewins is not so unlike the methods I have honed from years of tracking the elusive trophy King salmon....structure, breaks, contour trolling, a finicky presentation, thermal clines, blah blah blah. We haven't purchased a boat YET, though the search has hastened, so my question is this....

I have studied the topo maps of Shelbyville lake, read stories, articles, and gleened what is available and am left with only the small question of where should I go if I wanted to do a little shore fishing this weekend. Not necessarily targeting Muskie, but a well rounded spot where we can drown some lures and/or bait, catch a few fish and have a good afternoon? Of course, should I be pointed in the direction of a potential Muskie sighting, I WILL have my favorite Lamiglass and spinning level wind in the truck......of which I thought I'd never get to blow the dust off of again!

So that's it, We look forward to talking with all of you in the future, and meeting sometime on the lake! Great site and happy fishing!

Chris Jackson

Wink shelbyville muskie Hunters- LSMC

Hi Chris;

My name is Kevin McGill, former president, tournament director of the Lake Shelbvyille Muskie club, We meet, in Shelbyville,every other month, the first tuesday from 6-9, in the basement of the local Monicals. Although, if you would like to stretch the line before then, please, contact, one of the best muskie Anglers, in central Illinois, Ralph Stanley- E-Mail rstanley@chipsnet.com
    The Muskies, in many of the lakes in Illinois, are stocked fish, and other than Lake Shelbyville, there are 30 or more lakes with muskies, and one of the best ways to enjoy these lake is with the IMTT, The Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail. The IMTT, is a organization, of some of the best muskie Anglers in the state, who are involved in tournaments to create funds, to restock our lakes, in Illinois......Please Contact Bob Kerans-E-Mail- bkerans@insightbb.com

good luck Chris; see you on the water kev