www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 2 more Busted

Default 2 more Busted

2 men were busted with almost 200lbs over their limit of fish out of LBDN on Sunday. They were diff people than last time, Some people never learn from the mistakes of others. They had all their stuff all over the parking lot at the Gas station in Rapid River where they were stopped and checked. DNR 2 Tribal Fishermen 0

Default Netting results any word

Any word on what will be done with the dailey bag limits for this comming walleye season. Is the MI. DNR suggesting lowering the daily bag to two fish.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Jig View Post
    Any word on what will be done with the dailey bag limits for this comming walleye season. Is the MI. DNR suggesting lowering the daily bag to two fish.
    The way the walleye are getting thrashed with the netting before you know it they will be on the endangered species list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Jig View Post
    Is the MI. DNR suggesting lowering the daily bag to two fish.
    If I may ask, where did you hear that?

Capt. Jim McDonald

In Wisconsin when these things happen on Ceded lakesthe DNR will reduce daily bag limits to hook and line fishermen is why I pose the question.

Hmmm I guess someone doesn't have a sense of humor!!! either that or your not aloud to rip the DNR on this site!!!!

Thumbs down Poor taste....

No...your sense of humor stinks. Yes, this is not a bash the DNR site.

Default first ammendment

If you don't like America You can GIT OUT!

Our founding fathers must have rolled over so many times in the last 50 years its sick...

so I guess everyone else on here can get bashed, but not the DNR??

My point in the post that got deleted was just that I don't see how they can claim all of these fish were taken by the netting and then only get these guys with a couple hindred pounds......of which will only lead them to getting slap on the wrist fines and they will be back out doing next year!!!!

maybe they should work on some of the real problems instead of wasting time writting all of the BS tickets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    so I guess everyone else on here can get bashed, but not the DNR??
    maybe they should work on some of the real problems instead of wasting time writting all of the BS tickets!!!

I guess I don't really understand your logic at all.

Who else is getting bashed?

Are you trying to imply that illegal netting isn't a real problem?

Furthermore, are you saying that arresting and ticketing people that are illegally netting is BS?

Let me guess: you hate all cops, your former teachers, and anyone else who is an authority figure.

Capt. Jim McDonald

no no your missing my point, If they know as they claim that these guys took hundreds of thousands of pounds of fish...why the heck did they wait so long??? and then when they do make a move they only get them with 30!! thats not gonna stop these guys at all!!!

I think the nets are bad, thats what I'm trying to say, if they would have got these guys with the big amounts they claim then maybe the tribal courts would have no choice but to shut them down.

I just don'tike the fact that the DNR is going around pounding thier chests saying "look at us and what we did" !!! When they could/should have done much more. They go around and write stupid tickets all year and do stupid stuff(exp. shoot swans) but when they have a chance to do something good when a real problem/crime come up they drop the ball!!!

and just for the record I was and MP in the army for 12 years so no I don't hate cops, and truthfully have never gotten a ticket from the DNR but I have heard of alot of the crap they have pulled on people in this area over the past few years.

rockbass Guest

This is embarrassing

We had a couple of the C.O.'s that were involved with the case come and speak at one of the board meetings of the Bay De Noc Sport Fishing club shortly after the bust. Many people had been asking the same thing "Why did they wait so long?" This is basically what I recall from that meeting.

First off, it wasn't "hundreds of thousands of pounds," more like 60 to 70 thousand pounds over the last 5 or 6 years, (still TOTALLY disgusting!) The DNR knew there was illegal netting going on, but didn't know the full extent of it until it until they got their hands on the commercial fisherman's records. Yes, they could have arrested people sooner, but all they would have got were the netters - they wanted to bust the whole poaching ring. Every year that went by, they were able to put more of the puzzle together. After many hours of surveillance, (much of it off the clock and unpaid,) they were able to determine where the nets were, and where the fish were being taken to. When they felt they had enough evidence to get everyone, they sealed the deal by pulling the nets one night and implanting many of the netted fish with PIT tags. After the violators pulled those fish and brought them to the wholesaler, the DNR was able to prove without a shadow of a doubt that those fish came from LBDN. As soon as the tagged fish were found in Garden, the C.O.'s (both Michigan and tribal,) went out and pulled the nets. That's why there was ONLY 256 pounds of fish in the nets when they were pulled. It could have been MUCH worse! On their "best" haul this winter, they had over 1200 pounds!

The DNR did their job on this one - it's in the court's hands now. These scumbags not only stole from the sport fishermen of the state, they stole from their own tribe. Since the C.O.'s have been getting calls of "congratulations" from tribal officials, it would appear they are going to get more than a "slap on the wrist."

I was the one who removed your "story," Fishmaster. It was uninformed and nowhere near the truth. You can bash the DNR all you want - somewhere else. The incident in Rapid River was unrelated to the earlier bust. Sounds like they just got lucky on that one, (you can't tell me that in 12 years as an MP, you never "stumbled" onto a situation that resulted in an arrest.) As far as the swans go, they're a destructive invasive species - I say blast away. If they looked like a cormorant, nobody would have said a word about it.

Anyway, if anyone wants to hear things "from the horses mouth" on this matter, I would suggest contacting the local DNR office at (906) 786-2351 and ask to speak with someone in law enforcement. One of the officers involved is a regular customer of ours, and he was more than happy to come and speak at our BDNGLSF meeting on his free time.
    Last edited by The Bait Shop Guy; 04-02-2009 at 08:19 PM.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Default ahh what...

hey boo hoo girls..

i made my first trip to the bubblers today and there was too many titanic ice bergs. although me and my two sons managed 1coho for 4 hits...

i'll start a new thread to stop the pms....

Well said Chris. Keep up the good work!

Steve Horton
    These are the voyages of the S.S. Enterprise......to search out new weedbeds....to explore new reefs...to boldly go where no muskie fishermen have gone before.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by johnkregs View Post
    hey boo hoo girls..

i made my first trip to the bubblers today and there was too many titanic ice bergs. although me and my two sons managed 1coho for 4 hits...

i'll start a new thread to stop the pms....

I don't blame these guys for having sand in their vaginas. But your right, we should stop hissy-fitting over this and just accept the fact that doing the right thing or being honest never pays off. The people that aren't violators like myself and most of the others that read these posts(I hope), should not be fighting each other. If you see someone doing something that you know if violating just politely ask them to stop and then put the boots to them. Eventually people will get tired of getting dealt with chuck norris style and will change their ways. On a side note, I can't wait for this (expletive) ice to go away so I can get out and do some fishing. Tired of sitting inside reading fishing reports that arent about catching fish!
    "By the Power of Grayskull! I have the Power!"

ok ok so I was a little harsh on the boys, thank you Chris for giving me/us some real info on the whole deal. Alot of mis-info spread around in small towns.

yea we stumbled on a few things, it really is amazing how dumb some people can be when they are breaking the law!!!

in the future I'll try and not let my emotions get the best of me. sorry all!!

rockbass Guest

Rumors in Escanaba? NOWAY who would of ever thought. Its usually better to open your mouth before you know the facts in the rumor mill that is Escanaba everyone knows that.
    Last edited by rockbass; 04-03-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Well, at least Fishmaster has the stones to apologize and admit he (or she cuz I don't know) may have been wrong to post whatever he posted, although I didn't get to read it. That, in itself, can show the true integrity of a person....to know when to admit you are wrong. Takes guts to do it, even if its only in the shadow of one of these evil message boards! We are always learning, from birth to death, thats a fact.
    These are the voyages of the S.S. Enterprise......to search out new weedbeds....to explore new reefs...to boldly go where no muskie fishermen have gone before.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE= As far as the swans go, they're a destructive invasive species - I say blast away. If they looked like a cormorant, nobody would have said a word about it.

[/QUOTE]

I wanna blast away cormorant! I know I know... Another topic

Default Fried or baked ?

Iv'e heard they are better fried than baked, what I heard anyway ! Keep it light...
    Mike P
    Nirvana Resort

Thumbs down

Obviously not iced out yet!!!!