www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Stainless Steel Props

Default Stainless Steel Props

Hello there everyone I have a question for you I have a 90 HP Mercury and its an outboard and I have damaged a few aluminum props over the last couple of years and I was wondering if Stainless steel props are better or worse for your motor if your fishing a lake like Ceasers where there are tons of stumps. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it, I dont mind getting a new aluminum prop every now and then but wow it can get pricey.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Stainless is the only way to go, in my opinion. They are much more durable than aluminum.

yes SS is more durable. If you hit someting hard the prop won't break , your prop shaft will be the weak link. Cheaper to fix alum. prop i think. Just my opinion, though.
    Scott shampton

I'm no expert. For the big 225's like I have, stainless is the way to go for overall performance. For the 90's though, I don't think you will see an appreciable increase in overall performance going from Aluminum to Stainless.

Yes, the stainless are more durable, but when you hit an object, something has to give: either the object (doubtful), the prop, or the propshaft and possible the carrier bearing. As stated above, you are much better off having the prop re-worked than trying to replace the shaft and maybe the bearing case and lower unit.

For what a stainless prop will cost you, you can buy an extra aluminum prop and change it out if the one you are running gets damaged and still come out ahead. m
    Last edited by mikie; 03-26-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks everyone for your replies I had heard that with a stainless steel prop that you could end up messing up other parts of your motor if you hit something solid. I think I am going to stick with my aluminuum prop and just replace them as needed and I will try to stay away from stumps and rocks and etc hahaha. Hope the water warms up some more so we can at least get a few follows to get us excited.
    Jason